User Manual?

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
Didix

User Manual?

Post by Didix »

Hi, I just discovered Helicon Remote - This is my first post here.

I want to produce Deep Focus Fusion Stacks with my D90.

What is the smallest focus-resolution I can get with Helicon Remote from step to step?
How much time does it take for 100 images?

From where can I download a user manual and more technical information?
(I do not want yet to install the program before I exactly know what I want to do within the 30-day test period).

Thanx, -Didix
BjoernL

Re: User Manual?

Post by BjoernL »

Hi Didix,
the spped to take the pictures is determined by the transfer speed of the image-file to the computer. Just measure the time between an exposure and the saving of a file with Nikon Capture. This speed is very individual (computer, camera, lenght of the usb cable).
The smallest focus-resolution is (as far I understand it, hope here is someone with more information) a function of the steps of the focus motor, the used lens and the distance. As with all lenses the focus-way gets longer when focused more close. This means that the lowest focus-resolution can't be measured in millimeters. It more a number like steps per focus-range.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We control camera with focusing steps. One small step for Nikon cameras is set to 15 microsteps of the lens. We found that this value is small enough for most applications. If you find that you need to make smaller steps, please let us know.
Didix

Post by Didix »

[quote="Stas Yatsenko"]We control camera with focusing steps. One small step for Nikon cameras is set to 15 microsteps of the lens. We found that this value is small enough for most applications. If you find that you need to make smaller steps, please let us know.[/quote]

Hi Stas

I am absolutely new in this subject. Where do I find more information about the meaning of what you answered?
What is the meaning of a 'small step for Nikon cameras' and what for 'microsteps of the lens'?
And: do you have a user manual (PDF) for HR?

thanx -Didix
BjoernL

Post by BjoernL »

Dear Stas,
is there a possibility to test a version of Helicon Remote with adjustable steps? I would test it and give you feedback, if this is a feature for the future.

Best regards,

Björn
FOTOCAMPUS
http://www.fotocampus.de
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Nikon controls its lens by microsteps which are very small. In Helicon Remote we use larger focusing steps, the small step contains 15 microsteps. It means that it is possible to make smaller focusing steps that allowed by the current Helicon Remote version. I would like to know if somebody need this. We found that small steps are small enough even for macrolens. If you have other experience, please let us know.
DSPhotog2

Post by DSPhotog2 »

Hi Stas,

You still haven't addressed the question about a PDF user manual for Helicon Remote.

I own Helicon Focus 5.0 Pro with Remote. I'm having trouble getting remote to function as it should. A step by step set of instructions ("do this then this etc.") would be a great help.

I don't know if I'm just being dense in not getting Remote to work, but I've just spent several hours trying.

Please help.

Best regards,

Dave

I can be reached at: dsmith5 (at ) optonline.net
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Dave,

I will try to give some advice here and then we will include these recomendation in our help.

Q:Helicon Remote does not work, I cannot set nearest and farthest point, the distance is always 0
A: Please make several checks to locate the bug:

1. Launch Helicon Remote, then connect the camera. Helicon Remote should detect your camera in a 5-10 secons, show its properties and Live View picture.

2. Point your camera on some high contrast surface and set minimum aperture so that you can clearly see the focused area. Then press '>' and '<' buttons to move focus forward and backward. Make sure that the program does not miss steps.

3. Some lens are slow and may ignore some focusing steps. To check this press '>>' several times and then '<<'. Make sure that focused area returns to the initial position. If the position is different it can mean that lens has mechanical slack or lens does miss steps. Try to increase the pause between focusing steps in parameters of Helicon Remote and repeat the test.

4. Store the nearest point, then press ">>" several times to move forward, then store the farthest point. Now click on "Nearest point" button and "Farthest point" several times and make sure that focus moves correctly between the stored position.

5. Press DOF calculator button and accept the recommended distance between shots. Press "Start shooting" button

6. Process the resulting images with Helicon Focus. If you see blurred aread between consecutive shots it means the actuall DOF is smaller than estimated by DOF calculator, so set smaller correction factor to make this estimate more precise.

If anything goes wrong, please tell us how far can you go with your test. "It does not work" does give us enough information about your problem. Operation system, camera model and lens information would be helpful. And the log file of Helicon Remote would help us a lot. You can find it in the Helicon Focus folder or in the Options of Helicon Remote (version 1.12+)
DSPhotog2

Post by DSPhotog2 »

Hi Stas,

Fair is fair so I thought I should report that all seems to be working as expected now.

I'm not sure why (maybe just reading and looking with a fresh brain), but I'm a happy guy today.

My guess is that the "bug" was/is the insect (me) running the program. =;~)

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Dave
DSPhotog2 :D
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I'm glad you are happy with the program. We found some new bugs which have not appreared before so it is possible that the bug was inside not outside : ) New version comes soon.
KortneyShadow

Post by KortneyShadow »

Hey Stas, thanks for your posts in this thread. It's nice to see someone take the time and help others. Also where can we see the full help manual online?

The Fat Burning Furnace is the best way to burn fat.
Last edited by KortneyShadow on 09.11.2013 12:16, edited 5 times in total.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Help manual online - please use this link:
http://www.heliconsoft.com/focus_help.html