Supported Canon Cameras

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
pcarsten

Supported Canon Cameras

Post by pcarsten »

I tried Remote 1.11. beta with different Canon Bodies and found best results with the 50D. With 40D it worked fine and took all pictures until the question to copy images to Helicon Focus came up. Suddenly the 40D did start to take images again.
With the 5D Mark II the camera can be controlled and the focus area can be set but the auto stepper did take the first picture only and the stopped. Manual picture taking is posssible.
With the 7D nothig worked at all.
Is it to be forseen, that 5D Mark II and 7D are supported in the future?

best regards
Peter
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Supported Canon Cameras

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for your report. I will add this to our to do list.

Post by Guest »

Which Canon Bodies are supported?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The program works with Canon and Nikon DSLRs that support Live View mode.
Canon: EOS 7D, EOS-1D Mark IV, 1Ds Mark III,50D,5D Mark II, REBELXsi/450D/Kiss X2, REBEL XS/1000D and later cameras.
Nikon: D3, D3X, D300, D5000, D90, D700 and later cameras.
pavantankasala

Post by pavantankasala »

IS Canon Rebel supported by Helicon remote, Since we had problems using with software.
Secondly even though lens is in the Auto focus , its pops out a message saying , set lens to auto focusing.
please provide me with a solution.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Your camera does have autofocus but it does not work in Live View mode. Only 50D and 5DMKII lines support this feature according to Canon SDK.
Please note that this does not affect the core functionality of the program. Autofocus is just a faster way, but it resets nearest and farthest points because we loose control over focus movements.
pavantankasala

Re: capturing images with native speed of camera

Post by pavantankasala »

HI
I am using Canon Rebel t2i (550D),I am getting a time lag between every capture using helicon focus, I want to capture images near to the native speed of the camera (i.e. 3.7 frame sper second). please let me know howcan i captures images near to the actual speed of the camera
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The best you can do is to set in preferences of Helicon Remote "Leave in the camera". You will win some time because the program will not send the file to computer after each shot. This would be the highest speed. You will get the same if you push on the shutter button with your finger.

Burst mode is completely different story. If you have firm hands, you may try this technique: focus on the nearest point, press stutter button to shot series in burst mode and move camera toward the object. The speed of movement determines the distance between slices.
pavantankasala

Post by pavantankasala »

Thanks for your reply
I want to operate the camera in the burst mode , capturing speed is important in our work , so is there a way where we can make the camera to operate with its maximum speed , i tried to use the first technique that has been mentioned in your reply , even though there is a delay between each frame.The key point is we need to have frame rate near to 3.7 frames per second .There is one more delay about 3 to 4 seconds after capturing 3 to 4 frames , the delay is even more at some times, we are really concerned about this delay in our work.please help us to solve this problem sir.
secondly ,will the motorizing focus rail be faster for foucsing in the burst mode, if so does your programs interfaces with the focusing rail ?
please help us to find the focus ring if they are compatable with helicon focus.

Thank you
Pavan
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Pavan,

We will check why there is a pause after 3 or 4 frames.

If you control the camera in Live View mode, it is not possible to get higher speed than 1 shot per second. If you want 3.7 or more, you should use burst mode.
Now the question is how to move camera when it is shooting in burst mode. I think you may consider StackShot rails. I think you can program it to move with contant speed. This will give you more precision over the camera movement but will limit movement to size of StackShot rails (10cm).

We would be interested to implement such a mode in Helicon Remote but this can be tricky and we should test it first.
apmadoc

Post by apmadoc »

I've not been able to get my 5D MK II to take the pictures.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We are now developing 2.0 version which is completely redesigned version. I expect it to be ready in several weeks.
Howard

Post by Howard »

Helicon Remote sill won't work with my Nikon D5000.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Howard, we will send you the latest development version on email and would appreciate if you test it.
docabelson

Post by docabelson »

I repeatedly tested Helicon Remote on a Canon 7d and 5DMark II. We were attempting to fine tune autofocus.

In both cases, using an increment of 1, trying to calibrate lens autofocus, I found the individual increments extremely irratic, so much so as to make the results time consuming and USELESS!
Repeating a test set without making a single change gave different results entirely.
The target used was a "Air Force Resolution Target". Lenses were tested wide open using electronic flash as illumination, stabilization off. Large Jpeg was used an read in Helicon Focus.