Helicon Remote Focus Bracketing and Timelapse combined

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
gianni333

Helicon Remote Focus Bracketing and Timelapse combined

Post by gianni333 »

I'm looking for a way to combine timelapse photography and focus stacking. I've read this in the helicon docs:

"With Helicon Remote, you can combine time-lapse shooting with focus stacking and exposure bracketing. To enable such complex bracketing mode, check the relevant checkbox."

Am I understanding this right that it is possible to make a timelapse session with focus bracketing (e.g. one stack with x steps with y step size every 30 seconds total 20 stacks) and every stack will always cover the same distance (e.g. 25 cm from camera to 30 cm from camera)?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Remote Focus Bracketing and Timelapse combined

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, that is exactly what you can do. Each time lapse step will become a focus-bracketed stack.
gianni333

Post by gianni333 »

Cool, thank you for the response. I just tested it, it works perfectly :)

One more question: When doing the timelapse it would be great to refocus before every stack. Ideally like setting a focus point for the "A" point, where before every stack it would autofocus on that point and then take X images in X intervalls starting from that point.

Is something like this possible?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There's no way to do it right now, and I don't think it can be implemented reliably. Particularly, autofocus in live view is very unreliable, I don't think this would work well.