Fast shooting

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
liltorp

Fast shooting

Post by liltorp »

Hi

I have downloaded the trial and made ny first stack, and what a result :D .

However shooting did take a while and it seems as the time consumed is to transfer each frame to the computer before taking the next.
Is there a way to leave the stack on the camera until finished and speed up shooting?
My camera is well capable of focusing and shooting 7 images pr. sec.

/liltorp
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Fast shooting

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You can leave images in the camera (Helicon Remote preferences -> Saving -> RAW / JPEG download mode -> Leave in the camera), but actually, the image transfer time is negligible, especially for JPEG images. You will win a little bit of time doing this, but not a whole lot. 3 - 3.5 seconds between shots is the fastest you can possibly go. Don't confused focus stacking in remote control mode with burst shooting.
liltorp

Post by liltorp »

Hi
Still i don't understand the time consumed.
(I use a Canon EOS 5D Mk iv and a EF 100mm Macro L USM IS)
I have set "pause between focusing steps" to 10ms and in one example there was 460 focusing steps between A and B, but running from A to B without taking pictures takes more than 30 sec. It should only take about 4.6 sec. (on it's own the camera can cover this range way faster)

When shooting it takes about 1 sec. from the position is reached to the picture is taken. May be this could go faster.

Couldn't the software be optimized a bit?
mrose

Post by mrose »

Stas, this question arises time & time again and you have said more than once that it is the remote camera operation not your software that limits the max rate of shooting. Could I suggest that you make it clear on the website that this is the case, and what typical shooting speed can be expected? Like many of your users I use the FBTube where burst shooting speed is required but of course it lacks many of the great features of Remote.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No, the program cannot be optimized any further without compromising reliability (and even then not much could be done). I can't say right away what is the reason for the particular timings of the focus movement sequence, but there is no delay that's not required for stability or not induced by the remote control protocol itself.