Nikon D5500 ios take picture shows wrong image preview

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
dhorsler

Nikon D5500 ios take picture shows wrong image preview

Post by dhorsler »

I've been evaluating the software on an ipad using the built in wifi of the Nikon D5500, it shows promise but there is a serious failing for my use case, which is as follows:

1. Set Exposure to manual control, set iso, aperture, shutter speed etc.
2. Use the focus tab to manually focus as required.
3. use the Exposure tab to 'Take Picture'.
4. The camera responds as expected and a photo is taken.
5. Then, what i presume is supposed to be the preview of the photo just taken is shown on the screen for 4 seconds ..... but this preview does not match the actual photo that was taken, i'm not sure what it is, could be frozen live view image perhaps? after 4 seconds it goes back to live view.
6. make changes to exposure settings and continue to take more pictures, the 4 second photo preview always shows the same image and it is not the preview of the photo just taken, surely this isn't correct operation?
7. it is not possible to see the preview of the photo just taken which makes it very difficult to make any exposure changes as you can't see what effect they have had.

Am i doing something wrong or is this a software bug?

If this worked i would purchase it in a flash but with it not working it makes it unusable for what i want to do with it unless using auto exposure settings so i am very torn as to whether to invest or not.

has anyone else experienced (or fixed) this issue?

regards,
Dave H
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Nikon D5500 ios take picture shows wrong image preview

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We're looking into the problem. What you're describing is of course not normal, image review should work properly and it should work exactly the way you expect and want it to - after a shot is taken, it appears on the screen for review. What you've described sounds like a bug in the application, but not a common one since no one else has reported it in half a year that this particular version of the app has been in AppStore. Furthermore, we're trying ot reproduce the problem on our iOS devices but are unable to do so, the review function does work fine for us, and while I recognize there must some issue in the app, we can't fix as long as we can't see it.
Have you tried reinstalling the app? The chance of it helping is very slim, but still worth a try if the problem is related to the app's settings.
dhorsler

Post by dhorsler »

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I have tried a different ios remote control app and was somewhat surprised to find that it also suffered image review issues.

The effect was a little different though, the image review picture was approx. 1/3 old image, 2/3 new image but horizontally swapped 50/50 so still unusable.

It seems more likely that this is a nikon d5500 firmware issue rather than an ios app issue, the camera is running the latest firmware version but that is a couple of years old now as Nikon has not released any further updates for this model.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Every shot you take in Helicon Remote is pulled to your iOS device and saved in its media library. Can you check whether or not these images are correct? The fastest way is to use the app's built-in photo browser (Tools -> Photo browser).
dhorsler

Post by dhorsler »

I've checked the images in the photo browser and can confirm that yes, all the images are correctly exposed for the setting chosen, its just the preview that doesn't show correctly for some reason.

I've also tried it on my iphone X and that surprisingly works fine, preview seems to be correct, the issue is restricted to my ipad air device only.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

That's why we're puzzled by this as well since it doesn't happen on any of our iOS devices. We don't have iPad Air, though, and while I don't think the issue is strictly tied to the device model, we can't dismiss the possibility. We'll see if we can find one for testing.
dhorsler

Post by dhorsler »

thank you for taking a look at this, I've also tested it on an ipad mini which also works ok, so the issue appears to be related to one particular device, the ipad air which is very strange.
Andrewgupta

Post by Andrewgupta »

can be a coincident, though it is strange but here i am also facing this type of problem on my ios device
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

What device did you find this problem on, exactly? Is it also iPad Air?
ihfihf

Post by ihfihf »

Hello!

I'm experiencing the same issue with my D850 on my Mac mini, but not on my Macbook pro. I've restarted both the mini and the camera and uninstalled the app, yet the preview shown after a photo is taken is just a still from the live view. What else could I try?

Thank you
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello! Do you have Helicon Remote version 3.9.12? You can see the version number in the window title, if yours is older, please try 3.9.12: https://www.heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemote.dmg

And if it already is 3.9.12, try the beta version instead (4.0.6): https://heliconsoft.com/downloads/HeliconRemoteBeta.dmg
ihfihf

Post by ihfihf »

I had the latest version so I installed the beta and still same behavior.