Database size and Multiple databases

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
pixe

Database size and Multiple databases

Unread postby pixe » 29.12.2013 23:29

I have only just found Helicon Photo Safe and it seem that it might be the answer to a frustrating search. So far it is excellent, but I have had one database problem, though that solved itself by restoring a backup. I have two questions that I am interested in. Please forgive me if these questions have been answered elswhere. If they have then a gently push in that direction would be helpful.
1. How large can the searchable database get? I have a number of hardrives full of images some drives more than 2TBs each.
2. Is it possible to save different individual large databases say (albums) for different drives/folders? The drives or maybe folders already have specific content say by different people. I notice that you can run two HPS programs simultaneously but they both seem to reference the same database.
As I say a really great program at the moment.

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Database size and Multiple databases

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 02.01.2014 19:27

1. There is no definite limit for database or number of images. We tested the program with 250.000 images (database is about 6Gb).

2. Yes, the program can switch between databases but it remembers the one it is working on. I will talk to our developers, maybe it can be possible to pass database name as a parameter to exe file.

pixe

Unread postby pixe » 09.02.2014 02:43

Sorry for delay in reply. If individual databases could be switched easily then this would be a definite advantage where say for example different photographers in the same group want to keep databases seperate or say for example very large databases of one year. I personally have digitised images going back to the late fifties and the amount of imagery produced seems to be increasing exponentionally!
Thanks for your helpfull and prompt reply. I will look forward to the addition of this facility if it is possible.

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 12.02.2014 12:13

Ok, we will discuss this internally. Right now the program is optimized to work with one database only. This includes backup/restore and many other aspects. For example, Helicon Filter and Helicon Import uses current database to cache thumbnails.

Return to “Helicon Photo Safe: General”