Duplicates

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
User avatar
scribbly
Posts: 34
Joined: 12.04.2012 18:14
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Duplicates

Unread postby scribbly » 03.05.2013 14:10

It would be very helpful if 'Duplicates' was able to accept a similarity factor.

For example: http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html scans directories and calculates the similarity.

For example, that programme calculated a similarity of 67% for these two:
AwesomeDuplicatePhotoFinder.jpg
Similarity of 67%
AwesomeDuplicatePhotoFinder.jpg (89.4 KiB) Viewed 5684 times


and these have a calculated similarity of 1%:
AwesomeDuplicatePhotoFinder-1.jpg
Similarity of 1%
AwesomeDuplicatePhotoFinder-1.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 5683 times

User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3954
Joined: 06.05.2009 14:05
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 08.05.2013 12:02

It is a good feature, but it will require much more time. Right now we are looking for identical files, which is the most usual case.

I doubt that you have the same image saved as tiff, jpeg and bmp, that does not make sense. And if you just copy one file to some other folder, Helicon Photo Safe will detect this and show you.

User avatar
scribbly
Posts: 34
Joined: 12.04.2012 18:14
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby scribbly » 08.05.2013 13:07

Stas Yatsenko wrote:It is a good feature, but it will require much more time. Right now we are looking for identical files, which is the most usual case.


I imagine it's a huge feature, requiring a very significant amount of work... but I'd find it useful.

Stas Yatsenko wrote:I doubt that you have the same image saved as tiff, jpeg and bmp, that does not make sense. And if you just copy one file to some other folder, Helicon Photo Safe will detect this and show you.


Ah: you'd be surprised :? I often convert to png / tiff / etc when manipulating.

But the other thing that this functionality would give you is collection of similar images, which you may want to do something with (not necessarily delete them). So I agree that removal of duplicates (i.e. identical files) is common (probably most common) case, but I find myself using http://www.duplicate-finder.com/photo.html very often.

User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3954
Joined: 06.05.2009 14:05
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 10.05.2013 11:23

Ok, we will look into this.

User avatar
scribbly
Posts: 34
Joined: 12.04.2012 18:14
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby scribbly » 10.05.2013 14:17

The other duplicate type thing that's been on my mind is the possibility of keeping different sizes / modifications: which isn't really duplicates, just differently published versions.

I was initially thinking of the resizing that's part of the publish functionality, and thinking it'd be handy to have those resized files kept: maybe with a <filename>_400.<extension> type thing.

Maybe if the suffix was a helicon standard (i.e. photo[400].jpg) then they could also be hidden / shown by the user. That would make it super simple to send photos that had been previously published.

But then I thought that edits could also be kept too (photo[edit].jpg) if you were doing something creative etc.

Just pondering the idea...

User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3954
Joined: 06.05.2009 14:05
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 13.05.2013 11:08

I think that resized version is not very good idea. At least not the best implementation for your needs. Resize can be done automatically when you publish or send images, there is no reason to keep donwsized version of the disk if you have original image.

As to edits, this should probably work as versioning, giving you the possibility to link all modifications for the file and even undo/redo edits. We can store information about modifications in our programs (Helicon Filter, etc) but how to trace modifications made by other editors (open A.jpg, save B.jpg) is not clear.

User avatar
scribbly
Posts: 34
Joined: 12.04.2012 18:14
Location: Sydney, Australia
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby scribbly » 13.05.2013 13:39

Stas Yatsenko wrote:I think that resized version is not very good idea. At least not the best implementation for your needs. Resize can be done automatically when you publish or send images, there is no reason to keep donwsized version of the disk if you have original image.


Actually I thought it would be an easy way to attach to an email. HPS doesn't have a "Send by Email" function?? I can't find it...

Stas Yatsenko wrote:As to edits, this should probably work as versioning, giving you the possibility to link all modifications for the file and even undo/redo edits. We can store information about modifications in our programs (Helicon Filter, etc) but how to trace modifications made by other editors (open A.jpg, save B.jpg) is not clear.


True... just some random thoughts in my head.

Editors would be more suited for saving versions I know, but HPS does have a few edit functions.

User avatar
Stas Yatsenko
Posts: 3954
Joined: 06.05.2009 14:05
Contact:

Re: Duplicates

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 15.05.2013 11:53

We have Send by email function in Helicon Filter. Please have a look, I think this is quite easy to implement the same way in HPS.


Return to “Helicon Photo Safe: General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest