People Tags

General discussions, bugs, support, suggestions
scribbly

People Tags

Unread postby scribbly » 12.04.2012 18:24

Hi:

Just downloaded and installed: thanks.

Wondering if there are plans for People Tags (of some sort)?

64bit version?

scribbly

Re: People Tags

Unread postby scribbly » 13.04.2012 11:11

I had great fun last night playing with the software!

People Tags would NOT have to be linked to anything at the moment... but they could be in the future. I note that there is a tag (category) for People / Family | Friends | etc. and I could add tags for specific people under those, but I think it would work better the other way around: that a person tag can have a category of Family | Friend | etc. and keywords.

Concerning tags (Categories) (generally): I think it would be helpful if the Tag window was more of a panel that could stay open whilst browsing the photo collection with the ability to add or remove Tags from the photo(s) selected.

Tags are not included as one of the Advanced Search options?

Filtering does not include tags either??

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 14.04.2012 20:30

Have you tried to enabe second panel and select categories there. Then you can drag images into categories tree or browser to assign them. You can also switch from Folders to Categories mode and browse your images there, no search or filtering is required then.

scribbly

Unread postby scribbly » 16.04.2012 03:04

That's a good tip concerning the second panel: I'll give it a go (I wondered why there was one, actually ;) )

If Categories were included in search options you'd be able to do something like:
  • Category=Flower and Category!=Orchid (if Orchid was a sub-category of Flower)
  • Category=Flower or Category=Animal

Which I don't think is possible in the current hierarchical display?

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 17.04.2012 10:48

No, with the current Categories view this is not possible. Should be added to search option of course.

scribbly

Unread postby scribbly » 17.04.2012 12:59

Stas Yatsenko wrote:No, with the current Categories view this is not possible. Should be added to search option of course.

Thanks: I thought that was the case... but very happy that Category search is an option :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Would love to see 'NOT' as an option too (BTW) :D

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 19.04.2012 11:49

Yes, we plan to rebuild the whole search engine to be more user friendly and flexible. The goal is to find balance between simple interface and rich functionality. The design is not fixed yet so your suggestions are very welcome.

scribbly

Unread postby scribbly » 19.04.2012 14:06

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Yes, we plan to rebuild the whole search engine to be more user friendly and flexible. The goal is to find balance between simple interface and rich functionality. The design is not fixed yet so your suggestions are very welcome.

If was me I'd have two modes:
  1. Simple search as you type box, with predictive auto-complete, where you can add things like (default mode=AND):
    • #flower !#orchid
    • rate>=3 #orchid (webgate.uploaded=true and webgate.site=facebook)
    • exif.iso=100 OR exif.flashfired=true
  2. Advanced Search where same can be entered but in a form & controls
    • So, the advanced search sort of generates the search as you type box internally.

Using a selection to search on would be interesting too:
  • Make a selection
  • Context menu: Fill Search Criteria / Location | Key Words | Categories | Template | etc
  • Criteria would be OR'd (to widen search)

Search templates where you can create the criteria to use: eg - Distance <= 3000m AND MatchOne(Category)

Saved search: though that's like filters, but that's what I'd like to see -- combine the two and ensure that what is searched / filtered is across all the metadata: Categories / Folders / File Info / Ratings / Exif / ITPC

Web Search: Use selected as seed for online search (can't remember the site?)

scribbly

Unread postby scribbly » 21.04.2012 07:25

Saved Search is like a Virtual Folder: set up the search criteria and maybe have a refresh button or setting to auto-refresh?

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 23.04.2012 13:14

Wow, thanks! We will certainly take this into account.

Return to “Helicon Photo Safe: General”