Will more memory help Helicon Focus?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Jeff Thompson

Will more memory help Helicon Focus?

Post by Jeff Thompson »

I've been running Helicon Focus Version 6.7.1 for quite a while and have just installed Version 7.0.1.
I've noticed that it runs two or three times faster than 6.7.1, and I've also noticed that it seems to use a lot of memory.
I currently have 8Gb of memory with an Intel Core i5 4570 3.2GHz processor running Windows 10.
I process stacks of up to 200 images (usually using method C).
Would Helicon Focus 7.0.1 run faster with another 8Gb of memory?

Thanks,

Jeff Thompson
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Will more memory help Helicon Focus?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Depends on what your use case is. If you're processing JPEG files, you don't need more unless your images are of enormous resolution. For TIFF files more RAM may help a little bit. The largest improvement will be with raw files, but I can't promise it will be a 2x or even 1.5x improvement. That number depends, again, on how exactly you're using the program, whether you render the same source files multiple times etc.
That said, 8 GB is on the low side of things. All our development machines have at least 16 GB, and some very large stacks cannot be rendered with less (400 MP stack just barely fits). For smaller resolutions, though, you won't need as much. So there is no simple answer. Yes, more RAM will help, but possibly not as much as one might hope.