What is the best order for post-processing images?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
el48tel

What is the best order for post-processing images?

Post by el48tel »

I've been using Helicon Focus for just over a year. I want to tackle a more difficult image. It will have a very wide Dynamic range.

Is it best to
1) in Lightroom, process all each of the bracketed exposure triplets for each "slice of the subject" to give a single image; then take these single images through to Helicon Focus to be composited to the stacked image?
OR
2) in Lightoom, export the set of the overexposed brackets to Helicon Focus to be composited to the stacked image; then the normal exposed brackets to Helicon Focus to be composited to the stacked image; then the under exposed brackets to Helicon Focus to be composited to the stacked image; then make the HDR composite in Lightroom?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: What is the best order for post-processing images?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Normally I would suggest to focus stack first, because HDR usually includes local operators, which changes source images of the stack differently and Helicon Focus is not able to stack them afterwards. From other hand, if the DR is too wide, Helicon Focus may not be able to align images properly and/or retain all the details. So my suggestion in your case is first apply uniform DR optimization to all source images, then focus stack, then final HDR processing.
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

Ok so I tried the two possible ways. Both turned out to be unsuccessful.

1. HDR in Lightroom produced DNG files which gave "Load image error: unsupported format" when I tried to export them to Helicon Focus Pro
2. 12 images C stacks in Helicon Focus when returned to Lightroom as DNG could not be read by HDR Merge

Suggestions please
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need to install the latest Adobe DNG converter, and you also probably need the new beta version of Helicon Focus. Are you on Windows or Mac?
el48tel

Post by el48tel »

Looks like I'm running DNG converter 10.3.0.933 - so will upgrade and report back.
I'm running Helicon Focus 7.0.0.0

Yup - works amazing - now can move from my test subject to the main project.

Thanks

When is v7 to be available?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The current plan is to officially release it in a couple weeks. But until then we will be updating the bet version regularly as we fix various things, feel free to request the beta (the fastest way of doing that is to mail heliconsoft@gmail.com).