Project won't load

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
TLH555

Project won't load

Post by TLH555 »

Project won't load. I exported files from Lightroom directly into helicon focus. I saved the proejct and also saved the completed file as a Tiff. I wanted to continue retouching the image so opened Helicon focus directly (not thru lightroom) and attempted to reopen the project. The project is listed in "Load project" menu but won't load. I just get a confusing error message/symbol (attached is JPEG file). I have read thru the forum and found others that seemed to have similar problem but didn't see a solution here. I would like to save and reload project in helicon focus that i initiate by exporting files from within lightroom.
Attachments
screen cap.JPG
screen cap.JPG (11 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Project won't load

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The message without text is, of course, a mistake that will be fixed in the upcoming update, but the main problem is what you're doing will not work. LR creates temporary files during export; these files are cleaned when export finishes (after you close Helicon Focus). So your project refers to these files that no longer exist.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Any professional workflow always provides a way to reload a project. I have been having this problem of not being able to reload a project and getting a silly error message that doesn't help or say what the problem is. Plus, there's no work-around. You can't actually fix it. So now I'm forced to never be able to make minor changes again. This has been a problem for as long as I've had this software, which is close to a year and I see others that are equally frustrated, but I don't see any updates to fix this problem. Plus the website continues to say how great it is to be able to save projects but don't give enough information on how it actually works, and when it won't. It sucks so much time away, having to completely re-render a full project just to make a minor change. It's time for Helicon to get it's act together regarding this issue with the software and put out a robust update. It will pay off in market share for focus stacking apps. So do yourself, and all of us users, and fix this before it's time for me to renew my license. Thanks so much.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The silly error message will be fixed in the upcoming Helicon Focus. As for loading the projects: to the best of our knowledge, there are no problems with this functionality in versions 6.7.1, 6.7.2 or 6.8.0. This blank message appears and the project fails to load when the user moves or removes some of the images that project references (i. e. needs). The project file lists paths to some resources it needs: the source images, and the intermediary images contained in a subfolder with the same name as the project file name. If any of those resources are not available, the project cannot be loaded.

Try this: save a project and then load it back immediately. It will load no problem. You can do some retouching before saving, and that will be loaded as well. There should be no problem unless someone or something messes with the files.
If the test I just described fails as well, you must have discovered a new error, please get back to us if that's the case.