Does Helicon Focus respect ACR settings?

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
BobStone

Does Helicon Focus respect ACR settings?

Post by BobStone »

This is my first posting to the forums... have searched of an answer to this question, but so many related to DNG could not find an existing thread. Hope this is not repetitive and has a simple answer.

I use Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) to Photoshop in my work flow. A number of 3d party applications that read raw files do not apply ACR settings to the raw files, so their output suffers from, and sometimes exaggerates, some of the artifacts that ACR corrects, i.e. chromatic aberrations, geometric distortions and vignetteing. In these cases I use a batch process to open the images in Photoshop, save them as TIFFs, then load the TIFFs into the software.

So with the new DNG capabilities in Helicon Focus, my questions is does Helicon Focus respect the ACR corrections or is the TIFF conversion a better approach?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Does Helicon Focus respect ACR settings?

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

No, I don't think it respects them unless the Adobe DNG converter automatically handles this internally. We'll look into it.
Perhaps, it's best to process the original raw images and then correct the result, unless the distortions interfere with the focus stacking process too much.
BobStone

Post by BobStone »

Thank you ... I've set up a macro in PS to generate TIFFs from the adjusted raw files, so quite easy.
Clipping path

Post by Clipping path »

BobStone wrote:So with the new DNG capabilities in Helicon Focus, my questions is does Helicon Focus respect the ACR corrections or is the TIFF conversion a better approach?
No, Adobe DNG converter automatically handles this inwardly. i consider that it doesnt respect them.