Helicon Focus not choosing highest sharpness on edges

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
lblblb

Helicon Focus not choosing highest sharpness on edges

Post by lblblb »

I have a common problem with HF, that it very reliably fails to choose the image that is in focus for the edges of objects.The problem is very pronounced with bright edges (example stack download), but with darker edges HF also chooses non optimal source files for the edges (not as sharp as the source files would allow), so I always need to retouch them. I'd like to stick to Method B because it give the best overal result. I've tried different radius and softness settings and it changed nothing.

All my stacks are propely sorted by focus setting. Here's the stack: http://lucasbosch.de/temp/20140308_9022 ... roblem.zip

Thanks in advance,
Lucas
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Focus not choosing highest sharpness on edges

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for your images. I am not sure what you mean. Please select the problematic areas on your image.
lblblb

Post by lblblb »

Here are the approx. areas that are problematic. Some parts of them are caused by the source files not being in focus, but there are definitely areas which do have a sharper source file available and HF not selecting it. I've applied touchups to this stack before.
20140308_9022_hf_stack.jpg
(1.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please find below our result. Helicon Focus 6.7.1, Method B, Radius 8, Smoothing 4, without retouching. I don not see any problematic areas on our image.
Attachments
2017-01-13 15-52-14 (B,Radius8,Smoothing4).jpg
(4.84 MiB) Not downloaded yet