Sorting of Source Images is not working

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Jochen Huysmans

Sorting of Source Images is not working

Post by Jochen Huysmans »

Hi,

When I drag a stack of images to the main window, they end up nicely in the 'Source Images' section of the screen, but they have a messed up order.
When I click on the settings-icon, to change the order, I see that 'Sort automatically' is flagged, but I can't select 'Sort ascending' or 'Sort descending'.
Is this a bug, or what's the way to get the images in the correct order, because when I use the automatically sorted stack, it messes up the image completely.

I'm using Helicon Focus 6.7.1 Lite on a Mac running El Capitan 10.11.5
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Sorting of Source Images is not working

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

You need to un-check "sort automatically" first to select a different sorting order.
The images are sorted by file name.
Jochen Huysmans

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer.
However, I'm still having the same issue when I choose ascending or descending, they are still sorted in a random order.
Filename is standard IMG_<sequence number>
Jochen Huysmans

Eureka, I have found the bug!
The application is using the full path + filename to sort and not just the filename.
So, like in my case, when you drag and drop files from iPhoto, which uses generated subdirs, you can end up with files that are ordered very strangely.
I hope you can/will fix this.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I see!
I don't think we should touch it. If your folders were generated with the correct names (e. g. by Helicon Remote) then this is how it should work. If we were to only rely on the file name we won't be able to tell "2016.07.08_001/img_001.jpg" from "2016.07.08_002/img_001.jpg", while the current method would work correctly.
Jochen Huysmans

Hi Stas,

I understand your point, but I don't agree. It would be stupid/strange to try to add 2 photos with the same name to 1 stack, because you would have problems yourself in keeping them apart to start with.

Especially, because the method that I used, was working for years with an older version of Helicon.
It's only because that version was no longer working on El Capitan, that I upgraded.

For the sake of informing other forum-users, I have a workaround, i.e. drag the photos from iPhoto into a folder on my desktop, instead of directly into Helicon. Next, select the photos in that folder and drag them into Helicon. Stupid, but it works.

So far, I have 0 benefits from the upgrade, which is a pity when spending a considerable amount of money on an upgrade of an application.

Thanks for the quick feedback though.