RAW in>DNG out Ver 6.7.1

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
RichJ

RAW in>DNG out Ver 6.7.1

Post by RichJ »

I just tried this:

If "Downsample" is selected it fails on the second image with "Internal Render Error:5" (Occurs with all modes)

Can downsampling be used? If not, maybe the options should be be greyed out.

With a full size dng, the file is not recognized by DXO Optics (pro ver 10.5.4)

Camera Nikon D3X, 16 image stack.

Thanks.

Richard, Victoria, BC
RichJ

Re: RAW in>DNG out Ver 6.7.1

Post by RichJ »

>With a full size dng, the file is not recognized by DXO Optics (pro ver 10.5.4)

Regarding the RAW (DNG) files... here is DxO's reply.

"The Raw files supported by DxO for any camera, must be the Rw coming from the camera, not from a 3 party software.
As soon as you put your raw in a softawre before DxO your will lose some information."

Even though DxO says "DNG is supported"....

The D3x does not save in DNG format.

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello,

Clearly, we can't do anything about DxO. Sounds like they don't really support DNG, only some subset of it.
As for downscaling in DNG-out mode: works for me. Can you please send us a sample stack (2 images will probably suffice) that demonstrates the issue?
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stas,

>Clearly, we can't do anything about DxO.

Maybe you can talk to them about the issue?

>Sounds like they don't really support DNG, only some subset of it.

I think that what they are saying is that since the D3X does not save as DNG, the can't handle it because they don't know what it should really look like. (They said " As soon as you put your raw in a software before DxO your will lose some information.")

>As for downscaling in DNG-out mode: works for me. Can you please send us a sample stack (2 images will probably suffice) that demonstrates the issue?

I tried.... 1) ZIPX is invalid??? 2) file too large (71mb), another way to upload?

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Adobe DNG is an open format, they have access to the same documentation we used. What's there to talk about? Plus, I don't see how it is our problem.

The easiest way is to upload to some cloud storage (Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc.) and post a link.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stas,

>Adobe DNG is an open format, they have access to the same documentation we used. What's there to talk about? Plus, I don't see how it is our problem.

I guess you are reading it differently. I have no idea who is "right".

Who's problem, well you introduced a new feature. If it can't be used because its incompatible it does not sell more copies... (I use both).

IF it works and the results are equivalent (or better), then it sells more copies of your software.

>The easiest way is to upload to some cloud storage (Google Drive, DropBox, OneDrive etc.) and post a link.

Sorry, I will not use that.

Please send me an e-mail and I will send you a link to download from my website. It will be in zipx format, assuming you can read that.

Thanks.

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Adobe software has no problem importing our DNG files, so it's pretty obvious to me the problem is not on our side.

Sure, ZIPX will do.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stas,

>Adobe software has no problem importing our DNG files, so it's pretty obvious to me the problem is not on our side.

DXO say the same thing, so its clear that there is a problem somewhere.....

>Sure, ZIPX will do.

I need your e-mail address or an FTP server to send it to. (I will not post a link in a public forum.)

Richard
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please upload your images to our server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stas,

Issue:
If "Downsample" is selected it fails on the second image with "Internal Render Error:5" (Occurs with all modes)

>Please upload your images to our server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/

Done, id by my name.

Richard James
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We've tried both on Mac and Windows, and couldn't reproduce the issue. The rendering completes successfully with any downscaling level. Possibly, there are more steps required to expose this problem than simply opening your sample stack.
Please go to Helicon Focus menu -> Preferences -> Tools and press Wipe Settings. Restart the program and see if the problem still occurs.
RichJ

Post by RichJ »

Stas,

>Please go to Helicon Focus menu -> Preferences -> Tools and press Wipe Settings. Restart the program and see if the problem still occurs.

I reinstalled it in a different folder... both version snow work as expected (Error 5 does not occur).

As for the DNG out option, I can not use this in my workflow (see prev msgs).

Richard James