Saving stack map or stack data

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
victorwol

Saving stack map or stack data

Post by victorwol »

It would be cool if one could save the stack project or stack data to go back to it and make changes if needed, often I found after the stack is done and I'm back in Lightroom that things that are pretty dark where not stacked correctly since there was probably not enough information to detect the sharp areas and create the right stacking. If you had an option to save the session, let's say the way that each photo was aligned, then I could re export all the images with a different development so the dark areas contain more information and are better stacked, and by using the saved session I could be sure I will get another image that will be in perfect register with the previous stack of the same material. Same for HDR processing, basically images will be the same but with different exposure, as it is now, there is no assurance each output will have the same size / position for each set of exposures, but if one can reload and re apply the aligning info from a previous session, then the output will always match

Will be also very useful if there was a gain of exposure control just for the screen, not the actual files, for the retouching so one can see better in the dark areas and know what is going on

Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Saving stack map or stack data

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

It is now possible to save project. This will save all inputs and retouching done to the resulting image. You can load the project again and edit retouching. As to dynamic brightness, we will think how to implement it.
victorwol

Post by victorwol »

Thanks! I had no idea it was possible. With the implementation of RAW use, it is kind of important to have a dynamic brightness adjustment, but that would probably mean you have to re-rasterize the image to show the clipped highlights or the bellow black information. But the amount of useful data in the shadows with cameras like the Pentax 645Z or Sony AR7 it is amazing and extremely useful for people doing jewelry photography like me.

Thanks!
victorwol

Post by victorwol »

And is is possible to change the sources and keep the stacking process to get an identical result? Here is an example of why I would like to have this, lets say I export something from LR as it is by default, but then I want to re export the same but with a +4 in exposure and, of course, I want to line up exactly with the previous process and chances are also retouchings are the same... are your retouchings saves as steps in a stack like Lightroom does? or are rasterized? Hope it makes sense.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We save all retouching information in a form of layers and they potentially could be removed to other sources. But this is not implemented.

For your tasks I would recommend RAW-in-DNG-out (RIDO) mode. You can export your RAW files as DNG from LR, then stack and retouch(!) them in Helicon Focus, then develop the result as you like.
victorwol

Post by victorwol »

yes, doing that, the problem is the artifacts and lack of sharpness I mentioned before.
farbfotofan

Post by farbfotofan »

Hi folks!
I tried currently to save active projects (made in DNG-format) and load them again.
It seems that the saving worked but I'm not sure.
But loading a project does not work for unknown reasons.
To load it, I chose the file xyzname.hproj
But just a white window appeared and vanished quickly until a new window appeared with a triangle plus OK button – but no explanation what happens.
Now what's wrong?

Thanks for help!
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We will investigate the problem, looks like projects might be broken.
farbfotofan

Post by farbfotofan »

Hi Stas
Thanks for investigating!
It is very important for me to be able to come back to a project. First I put the stacks together to see the first results and do the first ajustments.
But I need to come back to each project for all the fine work later and I need to be sure I really can do that once the outdoor season with flowers is passed...
One other suggestion: Could you join the project saving option to the other saving options on the right side and even offer the possibility to save projects AND DNG savings into a workflow together?
Thanks!
Your D.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Do you mean on the "Saving" tab?
farbfotofan

Post by farbfotofan »

Hi Stas

YES!
But this is a little wish in comparison with the importance of saving the projects..
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We'll add the button.
We can't reproduce the project saving/loading issue, though. Chances are that you're doing something specific that triggers the issue. Do you move the project to a different location after saving it, by any chance?