Default Cache Folder

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
garrett

Default Cache Folder

Post by garrett »

Is there any way to have the Default Cache Folder rooted elsewhere upon installation? My work is trying to automate relocating the cache and it is far too time consuming to do on every set for every photographer manually.

What options do we have? Ideally we would like to change the root so when the program is initially installed all users default to a different location (the backup HD).
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Default Cache Folder

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Cache folder is only used to store temporary files and it is cleared when the program is closed. At least it should be so. We can add possibility to set cache folder from command line, though I do not see why someone would need this functionality.
garrett

Post by garrett »

We are continuing to get a lot of crashes during render and retouch - our thinking was that moving the cache to a secondary drive would lessen the burden on the main drive. We try to only run applications from the C: drive when possible and write to the back up drives.

If you think moving the cache is a futile effort what advice could you offer to make the program run smoother? We have already started to turn off the 'intermediary results during calculation' but still see several crashes per day. The computers specs are up to par for the program.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We made some tests and we found a bug when the cache is small or not writable. We will handle this error better in the next version. In the meantime I would suggest to set cache folder to the disk the that has enough free space (10-20Gb) and which is writable. You will need to restart the program after changing cache folder. I would appreciate if you tell us if this helps.
garrett

Post by garrett »

Moving the cache off the default C: drive onto a secondary drive with write permissions (generally one with more free space) has been reeeally helpful. We still see some of the lock-ups or freezes but not nearly as frequently or often on our test sets. Not to mention the program runs smoother. It would be nice to see this as an install option, plug-in etc in future patches.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We will surely include cache fix in the next update. Thanks again for the testing. If you see some dependencies as to freezing, please let us know.