Helicon Freeze while scrolling or 'undoing'

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
garrett

Helicon Freeze while scrolling or 'undoing'

Post by garrett »

We are running EOS w Canon 5d mkII in Windows 7.

Helicon is up to date, however we have a few reoccurring issues with Helicon freezing and or locking up (unresponsive) during a few specific actions. Namely holding space bar to try to 'scroll' and when trying to undo a change.

I was curious if there are temp files that are off the beaten path possibly in a restricted location (we have built in security preventions). We made sure that all obvious temp files are removed at start up and closing as stated in previous forums with more current versions.

any one have any ideas or experience the same issues?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Freeze while scrolling or 'undoing'

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Do you mean Helicon Focus or Helicon Remote? Can you describe steps to reproduce the bug? Does it happen with all images or only RAW images? Can you reproduce the bug with demo stack (in case of Helicon Focus)?
garrett

Post by garrett »

Hey Stas, sorry for the slow reply - I'm IT only part time here.

We use Helicon Focus 6. Here are the steps to reproduce the bug:
Take 5 images > render > zoom in > hold space bar to move across images> Crash

It seems to really be triggered by panning/moving across the image after the render. We shoot in JPEG so these crashes are occurring on JPEGs not RAW. I am not certain what 'demo' stack is but we are able to successfully render the image - it is only after the render that this constant crashing occurs.
garrett

Post by garrett »

Also - we shoot in Canon EOS Utility and use those images in Helicon Focus. So at any point both programs are running. I read in the form that running other software that communicates with the camera can create issues - do you think this could be a cause?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, we know about this bug but it is very hard to reproduce. We are not able to fix it so far. You can pan the image using right mouse button while we are looking for the solution.
garrett

Post by garrett »

Ok we will try using the right mouse button to pan instead of the space bar. We've seen some improvement by moving the default location of Helicon Focus temporary files (preferences>cache) from the C: Drive to our backup D: and E: drives instead.

We also have had better success with manually closing down Canon EOS Utility software and the camera before attempting the render. Do you have any information on this? Should we be using Helicon Remote instead of EOS Utility?
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Theoretically, Helicon Focus does not depend in any way on Helicon Remote or other applications in the background. The bug with space and panning seems to be some internal Qt library error which we can't trace or find workaround so far.

Changing temporary folder should also have no effect unless you have enough space on the respective disk.
Skeletal

Post by Skeletal »

Has this freezing issue been fixed yet? I’m using Helicon focus version 6.2.2 pro and get exactly the same problem… using the space bar to move an image causes a freeze that can only be undone by Ctrl+Alt+Del and killing Helicon focus in task manager.
Right clicking to move does work OK, but I’m so used to Photoshop I keep pressing the space bar automatically!
I see you say it is hard to reproduce… not for me; just stack some images, zoom into an image to do a bit of retouching, press space bar and it freezes every time.

Thanks

Skeletal
Skeletal

Post by Skeletal »

I’m pleased to report that, for me at least, the freezing problem with the attempts to move an image using the space bar has been solved with V6.3.5.

I thought had the latest version… should have gone to spec savers :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help.

Skeletal