Running Helicon Focus on a linux operating system

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
George Langford

Running Helicon Focus on a linux operating system

Post by George Langford »

Hi Stas -

Usually I'm groaning about bugs & fixes. This time I have some good news: Helicon Focus can be run in a GNU/linux environment by using Wine, which is a linux application that will run a Windows application without resort to the Windows operating system.

Specifically: I installed Helicon Focus in Trisquel (all open source, no proprietary code ... see http://trisquel.info on the 'Net) using Wine by running "wine HeliconFocus.exe" at the command line in a terminal console. The only glitch was that Wine found that there were six missing DLL files. Once I found those (free, as ZIP files, on the 'Net) extracted them and placed them in the appropriate place (the Wine support forum was a big help) the Wine installation of Helicon Focus proceeded with no further hassles.

The six DLL files are: MSVCP120.dll, MSVCR120.dll, QtCore4.dll, QtXml4.dll, QtGui4.dll, and QtNetwork4.dll.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Running Helicon Focus on a linux operating system

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks for sharing. Strange that some dlls like QtCore4.dll should be present in Helicon Focus folder and should be found without problem.
magnus_kson

Post by magnus_kson »

I was glad to find you can run Helicon Focus under Wine.

I use Ubuntu 14.04 and it works fine when I set Wine to run as Windows XP or Win 8, but when I try Win 7 I get an error message saying "Application failed because it could not find or load the QT platform windows" even though there is a qwindows.dll in the "platforms" folder of Helicon Focus.

I was hoping to be able to run Helicon Remote as well but that seems harder.
I can get it to start when I run Wine as Windows XP, but with Win 7 or 8 it won't start.
When I run in Win XP the problem is that I cannot make it connect to my camera, Nikon D750, using usb. I get a message saying: "Windows XP Autoplay menu competes with Helicon Remote for camera access".
I do not know how to disable Windows XP autoplay from wine? Does anyone out there know?
The message also suggest to connect camera first and then start Helicon Remote, but that doesn't work either.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The message is merely a consequence of the fact that the camera was not detected.

Naturally, we cannot provide meaningful support for such an exotic environment. We can, however, build Helicon Remote on Linux natively. But I don't have a slightest idea how portable it will be, what additional libraries I'd need to bundle so that you can run it on your machine etc. But it runs fine on my Linux.