Getting an XMP Error Saving an output file

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Steve Williams

Getting an XMP Error Saving an output file

Post by Steve Williams »

Hi,
First time on the site and new to the software so probably doing something dumb but a quick search on the forum didn't surface a similar problem. Using the version 6.3.0, I get an error after saving a rendered file. Returns "XMP Toolkit Error Unimplemented Method, Delete Name Space" It happens every time I save before closing to go back to Lightroom.
I'm running a Windows 7 64 bit machine, the strange part is the saved file stills shows up in the folder. Any help or guidance appreciated
Thanks,
Steve
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Getting an XMP Error Saving an output file

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Does this happen with all images, even with our demo images?
Steve Williams

Post by Steve Williams »

Hi Stas, After a little more testing it appears it doesn't happen if I load the same files into Focus directly. I only get the error when I'm exporting from Lightroom and then try to save in Focus. LR is latest version 5.7.1. I get the same error with only two files;
Here is what it looks like;
Here is what it looks like;
Helicon Error code.jpg (141.63 KiB) Viewed 8179 times
Thanks,
Steve
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please upload your stack to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/) and we will see what is happening.
Steve Williams

Post by Steve Williams »

Thanks, I uploaded 7 images that consistently cause the problem. They are full size TIFs from my 5DMKIII. Exported from Lightroom. If I load the files directly into Focus there appear to be no issues. If I load them from LR by selecting Export with preset to Helicon the SW processes correctly until I Save then it returns the error.

Good luck,
Steve
RedBuffalo

Post by RedBuffalo »

Similar issue for me running HF 6.3.0 on an iMac Retina 5K w/ Yosemite 10.10.2. After rendering a stack of TIFF images exported from Lightroom 5.7.1 and invoking the Save command in HF, the camera EXIF data will not save. I get the following error message:

"Failed to write image metadata: XMP Toolkit error 8: Unimplemented method SMPMeta::DeleteNamespace"

I normally save rendered images as TIFFs, but the error also occurs when I save to other file formats. The file does save, but the EXIF data are missing.
Steve Williams

Post by Steve Williams »

Thanks Stas,
The new load 6.3.2 fixed the XMP error problem. Works much better now. Interestingly the "Check for Update" in the old version didn't find the new update so did it manually.

Cheers,
Steve
RedBuffalo

Post by RedBuffalo »

Stas,

HF 6.3.2 doesn't give the XMP error message, but it still fails to save the EXIF data to the rendered image that I save as a TIFF. I have checked the metadata in the source TIFFs that I bring into HF 6.3.2, and the EXIF data are there, so the problem seems to occur when the rendered image is saved. This problem does not occur with HF 4.2.9, which is still my go-to version. Will it be fixed in the next update?
RedBuffalo

Post by RedBuffalo »

Stas,

Despite your reassurances, the XMP error and EXIF data issue has not been fixed in HF 6.3.5. In fact, the earlier error message when saving a rendered image as a TIFF has reappeared ("Failed to write image metadata: XMP Toolkit error 8: Unimplemented method XMPMeta::DeleteNamespace")!

This is getting to be very frustrating. Do you communicate issues like this to the programmers, and if so, why are they not listening to you? I am seriously considering switching to other stacking software, as this issue has been going on for several months, and it is still unresolved. With every reassurance from you that the issue "will be fixed" and then it is not fixed with the next update, I lose more confidence in HF. I continue to have to fall back and use HF 4.2.9, as it is the only stable version that I trust to use, yet is is very clunky on my Mac with Yosemite OS. Please fix this issue ASAP rather than waiting for another update with more "features."

Thank you.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The issue reported by Steve Williams has been fixed, Steve himself confirmed it. We can't reproduce the XMP error message anymore (in the 6.3.5 version), so please send us the stack that throws this error (upload it to our server as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/).

As for EXIF not being saved on Mac, we can reproduce it and are looking into it.