6.3 save to DNG not working on Mac

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
pwnell

6.3 save to DNG not working on Mac

Post by pwnell »

I have 6.3 and tried to save as a DNG image (from Canon RAW). It pops up the JPEG compression dialog and saves the file with a dng extension but the file itself is a small JPEG file. This is on Mac OS X 10.10.
ArgusC3PO

Re: 6.3 save to DNG not working on Mac

Post by ArgusC3PO »

Hi, I'm on a demo evaluation before purchasing.

Loving my results so far, but I'm having a similar experience to this person. I'm on a Mac OS 10.8.5. When I try to save the Render to DNG I end up with a file with a .DNG extension but it's half the size of my initial .NEF RAW files and neither LightRoom nor PhotoShop will recognize the file.

Am I correct in thinking this 6.3 version does have the RAW to DNG feature, because in some earlier posts it's still being said that this RAW to DNG feature isn't yet available? Thanks.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Can you please send us one of your DNG files? We fixed one of the DNG saving issues on Mac and preparing an update in the coming days.
ArgusC3PO

Post by ArgusC3PO »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Can you please send us one of your DNG files? We fixed one of the DNG saving issues on Mac and preparing an update in the coming days.
Hello Stas. A couple days ago I replied and sent the file you requested but I don't see that post in the thread yet, so I'm replying again.

I'm working on a Mac, OS 10.8.5

Attached is the DNG that Helicon created from my 10 .nef RAW files. As the original poster here described, Helicon created a file with a .dng extension, but it's actually a jpeg.
[/img]
ArgusC3PO

Post by ArgusC3PO »

Hello again, Stas. I replied to your last request about 5 days ago. I attached the problematic .dng file to an email, as you indicated. Still wondering, as I'm sure others are, what the status is with RAW .nef files in Helicon on a Mac generating Jpegs that are incorrectly given a .dng extension.

I'm now nearing the end of my 30 day trial on Helicon Focus and Remote and remain unsure if Helicon can work for me. Hope this can be resolved.

Thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

We are going to fix it in the coming versions of Helicon Focus 6. Please wait till new release is out. Sorry for the troubles.
MikeCT

Post by MikeCT »

I only just got around to v6 for my Mac, and notice there is no option to save as a Photoshop file. Is this going to be addressed, or will the eventual fix for Nikon Raw/DNG be the solution?

Thanks
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The technical problem is that PSD is closed format from Adobe and there is no open documentation to use it. Only a few libraries are available and it is not easy to include them into new Helicon Focus 6.
In any case Helicon Focus 5 was only able to read and write PSD files with one layer so I do not see the reason why you can't use TIFF instead. It is lossless and 16 bit per channel.
MikeCT

Post by MikeCT »

Thanks