They don't tell you this in the tutorials!

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
PhilH1952

They don't tell you this in the tutorials!

Post by PhilH1952 »

When I render stacks I have the following problems:

The exposure of the output file bears no resemblance to the pictures I've taken - completely overexposed.

The image size (in cm) is much bigger than the size of my photos

The resolution seems to be set at 72 p/i, as opposed to the 240 I shoot at.

I have tried to change the Helicon RAW settings but it has had no effect.

V disappointed with this software - has anyone any ideas how to sort it out?
nitinchandra

Re: They don't tell you this in the tutorials!

Post by nitinchandra »

Perhaps this explanation might help...

Images are captured and measured in "pixels" not in "cm". The "resolution" of 72 DPI or 240 DPI is put in (by the device/camera) to figure out how that image would be represented on a given device.

You can change, or even remove, the DPI in any image and it will have no impact on the image itself since that is just "information" for interpretation by different applications.

The "pixels" in a stacked image, i.e., the actual image size, will change to some extent based a variety of factors.

For simplicity, assume you have a 10 image stack. They would be at different focal points or the camera might have some shake, or the subject for that matter. Once these images are combined, the resultant image might be slightly larger/smaller (in pixels) than the original.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: They don't tell you this in the tutorials!

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Please send us one of your files for tests. Helicon Focus can develop RAW image with different engines and settings. New version will be also be able to process RAW files in native color space and save DNG files. As to DPI, Helicon Focus tries to set DPI to the value set in the program Preferences. We need your files to check if it works correctly.