Will it retain RAW format upon saving?!

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
NikFromNYC

Will it retain RAW format upon saving?!

Post by NikFromNYC »

I'm using RAW in Lightroom and of course want to retain the RAW format until I make my exposure etc. adjustments in Lightroom. But Helicon Focus, though it reads RAW just fine (Sony A7 .ARW files), it only seems to save JPG or TIFF which means I lose my extended RAW information, right? Must I first edit all my RAW files using the same saved adjustment filter first? I certainly don't want Helicon Focus to merely squash my RAW format into a TIFF format that I can then have no advantage of taking photos in RAW format.

Why is this very basic concern not noted in the help file? I'm using the demo download. But there's no RAW output?! That seems like a pretty major deal killer, right? For now I guess I'll brute force it and indeed do my work on one file in Lightroom, then save my adjustment settings as a filter to then do the rest of the multi-focus RAW files and only then apply Helicon Focus.

Am I missing something?
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Will it retain RAW format upon saving?!

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The next version of Helicon Focus will be able to save DNG version. In the meantime, I would recommend to apply the same adjustments to all source files, convert them to tiff (or call Helicon Focus plugin from LR).