LR5, HF and TIFF problem

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
jkehrel

LR5, HF and TIFF problem

Post by jkehrel »

Hi,
I'm using HF6.2.2 Pro and LR 5.6 With the HF Plugin I export my pictures as TIFF 16bit files (goes to subdirectory in temp). HF starts and opens these files, I render and save as TIFF 16bit again to the original folder of my pictures (because LR can't autostack the result from HF and the temp dir gets deleted when I'm back in LR). Then I try to synchronize to get the resulting file from HF back, but LR refuses to read the HF TIFF file (... corrupt file). Does not matter whether uncompressed or LZW.
The only workaround I found was to convert the TIFF to PSD (with the help of Adobe PSE12 that can read the HF TIFF !!) and then sync the PSD into LR.
That's not a good workflow and I hope you programm a better way. Would prefer the way LR works with PS automatically reimporting the result file.
Yours
Jürgen
jkehrel

Re: LR5, HF and TIFF problem

Post by jkehrel »

Interesting observation: when I save a project, HF creates a dir and writes a result.tiff file.
For one stack I got:
2014-09-17_15-16-40 M=B R=10 S=4.tif 96608564 bytes
result.tiff 96536788 bytes

Visually I can't see a difference between the two files. Further analysis says that exif information is differently written.
And now the interesting part: LR5 can import result.tiff (but not the other one)
May that's a clue to the problem.
yours
Jürgen
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Many thanks for your observation! We already fixed a few bugs due to EXIF data in TIFF files, it seems that there are more problem points. Can you send us one of the source files for tests?
jkehrel

Post by jkehrel »

I'm just uploading the two files to your ftp server because they are to big for email.
Subdirectory /jkehrel
.tif is result file from stacking
.tiff is from projects directory

.tiff can be imported into LR5.6, .tif not
Original files for stacking are 9 native .DNGs from Pentax K5, directly opened with HF 6.2.2

Yours
Jürgen
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Hello Juergen,

Yes, I can see the problem. You can avoid it if you check Ignore exif option in the Preferences. Please upload one of your DNG source files, it looks like some exif fields are key to the problem.
jkehrel

Post by jkehrel »

I will send DNG files next Weekend. Sorry for Delay.

One clue: if i analyse the HF tiff file with exiftool Utility it reports that the Tiff file is a DNG file. But it is Not a RAW file. EXIF Info inside tiff has DNG version Info (1.1) and possible other RAW entries. You have to filter the original EXIF Info from the Source DNG file for all entries belonging to RAW files before You Write the EXIF Data to the tiff. Maybe that LR is confused by RAW EXIF Info inside tiff file.
Yours Jürgen
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Yes, we already filter out some flags which confuse LR. But we want to keep as much information as possible.
jkehrel

Post by jkehrel »

One of the original DNG files is uploaded (same dir as before).
Yours
Jürgen