temp files

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
jimshirey

temp files

Post by jimshirey »

i am using the lightroom plugin to export to helicon focus, and i've noticed that my disk space is disappearing. how do i make absolutely sure that temp files are deleted when i shut hf down? my originals and final work are all stored on external drives, so i know that is not the problem.
jimshirey

Re: temp files

Post by jimshirey »

i found a work-around that might be useful to anyone else with this problem. i searched for any file having the string "temp" in it. then i deleted the ones that also contained the string "helicon." probably not the most efficient method but it worked. i also downloaded version 6 and i'm hoping i won't have that problem again.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Thanks, we will check if the program deletes temp files properly.
edokie

Post by edokie »

Jim, I've had the exact same issue...LR exporting layers as Tiffs via LR's direct export to Helicon. My recently installed C:250GB Solid State Drive (Samsung high-end version) that originally started (2-3 months previous) with 48GB of total program files commonly used... had "exploded" to around 200GB and only 40 GB open space remaining. I was stunned. No other programs had been added; all photos shot are stored on a second internal SSD drive.
This much I do know: HF's "temp" files do NOT auto delete as one might expect, they simply accumulate, and can't be deleted as a batch; one by one only.
I did revert to Win7 Disk Clean function, marked all file-types listed as deletable... and held my breath. Worked like a charm. (I think I had to manually delete those lingering HF "temp" files, one by one using Windows Explorer: viewed under "User/AppData/Local/Temp". I was back to C: 46GB and a week later it is crept up to 51GB.
Today I always export to HF direct from LR... possibly there's a link or defect; HF certainly doesn't use-then-delete that file group... they accumulate endlessly.
In prior years I always exported layers from LR to my hard drive as Jpegs (a second SSD where all actual files remain), thereafter used HF to call up those Jpegs. It seemed to work well but I don't remember the C-drive ever getting overloaded as is now happening. LR exporting direct to HF is easier, simpler.
Where to point the finger - I haven't a clue. But the problem is real.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry for the troubles, this will be fixed in the coming release.
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Helicon clears it's temp folder on exit and on start. So if you want to make sure that temp files are deleted, you can just start Helicon Focus.
Temp files are stored in a directory, which you can find under Edit->Preferences->Cache, Cache folder. After starting Helicon Focus you can verify that there are no files there.