Renders as Retouching source + Aligned multiple renders

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
GFS

Renders as Retouching source + Aligned multiple renders

Post by GFS »

I have a suggestion for the retouching module. Perhaps it already exists, but I haven't been able to find it.

I tend to make several renders per image in order to find the best one. Some of them are good in areas where others are weak and visa-versa. I would like to be able to use one of these other rendered images for cloning/retouching into the render that I have chosen as the best. So, instead of using F9 to choose my source image, I would, for example, option-click a different render, which would then become the cloning source.

It seems counter-logical to me, to be cloning from un-stacked source images, where depth of field may be extremely narrow and I may need to work from several source images to fix a single area, when there is a perfectly good render sitting there unused and which would make the job an absolute breeze!

Here's an example :

The object (in green) is obscuring a large area (dark gray) in terms of depth of field, which could represent perhaps 7 or 8 separate source images in my work. The C method would give me a sharp edge and clean render in this area, but it would be very unlikely for me to want to use a C render because the 'look' it creates doesn't suit my work. So, I'd like to be able to use the B render as my choice, but to brush in the C render in areas where it is suitable.

A separate but associated suggestion :

I would also like to be able to work with multiple renders in other imaging software after saving out to tif. This necessitates that all the renders must 'fit' perfectly on top of each other. By this I mean, that pixel dimensions should be identical and any distortion that may have been introduced during their respective renders, must be unified when the renders are saved, so that they can all be brushed in and out without any positioning mismatches appearing. In other words, HF will align all the renders perfectly before they are saved to tif.

Grant
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Renders as Retouching source + Aligned multiple renders

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Grant,

Yes, we already have such features in our plans. Previous results will appear in source list on retouching tab.

As to saving results: when stack is merged, the first image is used as a base to align all other images. It means, that no matter which stacking method you are using, alignment is always identical and therefore, results are aligned as well.
GFS

Post by GFS »

Stas,

Good news about the renders as clone source.

I only updated to the latest beta a couple of days ago, so perhaps this has changed, but I have found that although images from different renders may be 'aligned' there may be differences in some distortion that is introduced during the renders. Clicking between the two can show some small differences, where a small area of the image does not fit exactly between the two different renders.

(BTW ... Great work on the latest beta. Really good renders. One image in particular that I had tried maybe 15 different renders and none worked perfectly in one specific area, just came out perfect on the first try with the latest beta).
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

The images should be aligned equally for all stacking methods. I suspect, that small features may "move" because different methods may take it from different layers. You are welcome to upload the stack in question to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp-server/) and we will check it ourselves.