editing the opacity masks on a mac

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
tamelask

editing the opacity masks on a mac

Post by tamelask »

just downloaded the sample version the other night on advice of another person whos photostacked (but is pc and used a different program). am running it for the first time to see if i'd like to buy it. i had trouble keeping my images perfectly lined up as i'm doing handheld. anyhow, even after messing with the parameters i am getting a halo from one of the images, and would like to edit the opacity mask, but when i click edit mask it says 'no image editor set, please select one'. i have no idea where to get this. i am on a mac- does that mean this part of the function doesn't work b/c it's part of heli filter? because frankly that would suck. i agree with other posters that an awful lot of graphics type people work on macs an only supporting them halfway doesn't make much sense. i am a professional retoucher and i can think of many applications i could use this for, and many people (photographers i work with) i could tell about it, but if it has limited functionality with macs i won't because it would just be a frustration since we all work on macs.

i thought i would be able to bring the stacked image into photoshop in layers, but i guess i was wrong. did i miss something, or is that something you'd consider in the future? to me, that would be wonderful - the program would do most of the work for me, but allow me the ultimate control and flexibility in lining things up and editing the opacity masks in photoshop.

the software sems like it works wonders if you get your images just right... i'll have to try it with another set.

oh, and are you going to add raw functionality with the canon raw- .crw? because it isn't letting me use my raw files now. i shoot with the older digital rebel.

thanks for any & all help! tammy kennedy
dgeystor

Post by dgeystor »

Hi,

All you have to do is set Photoshop as your image editor.

This is how :

Run helicon focus.
Open "Preferences"
Click the "Choose" button for the Image editor.
Navigate to its location and confirm.

That's all there is to it.

Enjoy.

Dimitri
tamelask

Post by tamelask »

i wish i could, but that choice is greyed out. in fact, it greys out pretty much everything in my apps folder- all the ps's (older versions). thoughts?
tamelask

Post by tamelask »

oh, and you didn't say if there's a way to save the files as a layred photoshop file which i can edit later. thank you!
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Hi!

Layered file: no, it is not possible. And I doubt the PS would work with 20-30 10Mp files with 16 bit quality and masks. Anyway, we solved this problem in windows version 4.0 by adding special retouching functions. Now we are working on Mac version.

Editor:have a look at the title of the program and make sure you have a registered Pro version. Otherwise this option could be unavailable.

Dan
tamelask

Post by tamelask »

i fgured out what the issue was. there's a box at the bottom that says show options that the cmputer thinks will work. if you uncheck that, you can select ps. i'm still in my trial period, so the pro vs lite didn't apply.

a 20 layered 10 mp file should only be about 200-300 mbs, which ps could handle without and eye bat. i have worked on files OVER 3.5 GB before. slows way down, but doable. i still think that would bethe ultimate best workflow- let helio focus do the masks and figure the opacities, but then allow it to be exported as a layered psd with layer masks to be further tweaked in ps. but, glad to hear there's more functionality in the works. thanks! tam