Nikon D800: minimal different size of NEF trouble

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
Maximilian Weinzierl

Nikon D800: minimal different size of NEF trouble

Post by Maximilian Weinzierl »

Hi @ all

I´ve a problem just now: the NEF files out of the Nikon D800, in spite of individual setting "RAW - No compression" are not differently big slightly, numerical values after the comma. If was ordinarily no problem, BUT Helicon Focus opens/processed to me these NEF files not and reports that it concerns different file typ size color dimensions. Is there a quick solution? thanks and greetings, Max
Adobe Bridge CS6MAX002.jpg
Adobe Bridge CS6MAX002.jpg (101.47 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Nikon D800: minimal different size of NEF trouble

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I have two possible explanations for this. Firstly, you may stack jpeg and raw files. The size of jpegs might be slightly different from RAW files and this causes such message. Secondly, Helicon Focus is in 32 bit mode and is not able to handle bigger raw files. This is unlikely because normally test the program with images up to 100 mpixels.
pfgbel47

Post by pfgbel47 »

Hi Maximilian,
I also shoot NEF with my D800E and I use the files as they are out of the computer (they are directly recorded in my Notebook as I use Helicon Remote connected to my camera). The Nef files have approximately the same "weight", +:- 43 Mo and their original size reaches 7424x4924.
I also noticed that Helicon Focus miscalculated the size of the input images, it shows 1080x1632 (vertical image) !
However when the processiong is done and recorded the final image is 4912x7360, in others words almost the original size of all the input images...
My settings in the camera is "RAW only", "14bits", "compression without loss" but all these informations do not necessarily appear on the screen of Helicon Remote.
My registered copy of Helicon Focus is a 64 bits (X64) and the version is 5.3.6 X64 sub-version from August 6th, 2012.
I do not understand the reply of Stas about 32 bits only... ?? Is my version not a 64 bits ??
I saw a new version was ready but it doesn't show "64 bits" so I'm afraid installing it and I shall continue with what works really fine !

PS: my PC is a i7 2600k 64 bits, Win7
Attachments
VERSION.jpg
VERSION.jpg (4.75 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

I do not think this is the problem reported by Maximilian Weinzierl. Mac version relies on OS support for RAW images while Windows version offers 3 different modules to process RAW files. We are preparing for release new Helicon Focus 6 which will have the same functionality for both Mac and Windows.