Opacity map questions

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
kenchow

Opacity map questions

Post by kenchow »

I'm trying out the software, and like it a lot :D and will purchase it but need to understand how the opacity map feature is used:

1. I shot a series of images where there is a dominant object 18 inches away, and when that object is out of focus it's out-of-focus soft areas overlap part the background 20 feet away. With the distant background in focus (the last image) there is no part of that overlapped background that is free of the out-of-focus front object section, am I correct in assuming that no amount of opacity map adjustment will save this?

2. How do I "paint" with white or black, there does not seem to be any means of doing this in Helicon Focus....do I need to export/save the files and do this in Photoshop?

Thanks for your help, I need to determine if Opacity Maps will solve this problem, it will help me decide which version to purchase.

Regards, Ken
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Ken,

I would appreciate if you could upload the stack to our ftp server: ftp://web10f6:123456@helicon.com.ua

I will try to do my best to demostrate the use of the opacity maps.

I would also like to use the stack as a tutorial for opacity map usage on our site, if you permit. You will be mentioned of course as the author of the images.

2. You should call Photoshop or Helicon Filter (which comes for free with Helicon Focus Pro) to edit opacity map. Just right click the opacity map and select "Edit opacity map" command.

Best regards,

Danylo
kenchow

re: opacity filter

Post by kenchow »

Wow, that was quick, thanks! Yes I will upload the stack, it's Canon 5D raw files.

You most definitely have my permission to use the images for your site and tutorials if you like. This will be very interesting and instructive!

Ken
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Raw files are too big to upload them. JPEGs will be ok for me. Even downsized to 50%
kenchow

will send jpegs

Post by kenchow »

sorry, I've cancelled the ftp session and will send jpegs shortly. Thanks.

Ken
kenchow

jpegs now uploaded

Post by kenchow »

The stack's there in jpeg form, looking forward to seeing how this all works!

Ken
hwilk

Trial version (4.01.1) - opacity map

Post by hwilk »

Hello,
I just downloaded the trial version of the software (version 4.01.1 released 24-07-2006) and have been playing with a stack of images that I had previously collected from a microscope (reflected light). I noticed that the resulting image tends to "wash out" some of the dark features since the areas that are way out of focus are so bright. I thought that I would play with the opacity maps (masks?) after reading some of the postings in the forum, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them. Is that feature limited to a registered Pro version or the previous version?

Thanks! This is great software and easy to use.
Harlan
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

We replaced opacity maps with much more efficient retouching tools. They are available during trial period and for Pro users. Expired version has retouching functions too, but it has limitation on image size on saving.

We are working on help\tutorials now and you questions would help us to make it more useful to our users.

Best regards,

Danylo
hwilk

retouching tools

Post by hwilk »

Danylo,

Thanks for the reply. I had been trying to look at the help file & kept getting and error box rather than the help info. However, once I turned the help panel at the bottom of the screen back on, there was enough info there to get me started. Nice tool!

For images with large unfocused areas, is it possible to mark those areas so that they would be ignored in determining the final image? Maybe the better question is whether it is useful or practical to do so considering that the retouching tool seems to work so well.

Harlan