StackShot control with Helicon Remote

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
kbaerwald

StackShot control with Helicon Remote

Post by kbaerwald »

I am using a Panasonic G2 for taking stackable macro photos and process them with Helicon Focus Pro. I would like to automate this process and have taken a look into the StackShot system. Currently I have the following understanding:

- Helicon Remote controls the StackShot macro-rail via the StackShot USB interface (size of focussing step, pause and inversion)
- the StackShot controller box controls the camera
- photos are taken and manually imported into Helicon focus and processed

Currently there is no direct control/Live View functionality of the Panasonic cameras via Helicon.

Could you please confirm the statements above and comment on a possible Live View control of the Panasonic line of cameras?

Thank you

Klaus
Stas Yatsenko

Re: StackShot control with Helicon Remote

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Klaus,

Helicon Remote can only be used with Canon and Nikon DSLRs, at least at present. You can use the StackShot as a stanalone device, without a Helicon Remote. The control box of the StackShot moves macro rails and fires camera over wire remote control. Please see description of the manufacturer.
kbaerwald

Post by kbaerwald »

Stas

you mean - there is no control of the StackShot device in Helicon Remote and the menu in the "preferences" is NOT working (see attached jpg)? I am confused now.

Klaus
Attachments
Helicon.jpg
Helicon.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

Sorry for confusion. Helicon Remote will not work use StackShot unless connection with camera is established. This will not work with your Panasonic camera.
kbaerwald

Post by kbaerwald »

I think it is not wise to connect the camera remote control so tightly to the rail control. I have a StackShot with USB control but NO camera that you are controlling: nevertheless I need the remote rail control. You will defenitely limit the number of users which would like to use your software.

Zerene Stacker obviously follows a different strategy which is more flexible here.

If this is your final word I will have to abandon your software - it is a pity that I had been deceived by the user interface of Helicon remote.

Klaus
Stas Yatsenko

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

There is not much sense in Helicon Remote if you are not able to see live view image from your camera. That is why we need connection to the camera. We can control StackShot without the camera, this is no problem. But this gives you no advantage, you can do the same with StackShot control box. Right now we support Canon and Nikon cameras. We want to support other types, but they do not provide interface to get live live and control focus. If I missed something, please correct me.