Strange cropping by HF !

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
JPS

Strange cropping by HF !

Post by JPS »

Hi ! I noticed a strange cropping by Helicon Focus: I took 16 shots of some tools, laid on a white background. The depth of the subjects was 43 cm. (17") and the nearest point of the subject was at 37 cm. (14.5") from the camera.

I carefully focussed so that I wouldn't have to crop anything ! I positionned the camera/set-up so that nearest and the furthest points were included in the frame, when focussed !

Helicon Focus followed exactly the framing I had set for the NEAREST point, but cropped heavily the TOP, LEFT and RIGHT sides, as you can see on the last image !

In the order, shot 1 of 16, 9 of 16, 16 of 16 and the rendering by Helicon Focus, as it came out !
Image Image
Image Image

...I find this very annoying, as I would like to be able to frame as tight as possible, judging by what I see in my viewfinder !

:?:
J-P.
Stas Yatsenko

Re: Strange cropping by HF !

Post by Stas Yatsenko »

If you change the order of the source images and Helicon Focus will not crop the result. But you will see that the edges will contain blurred areas from some of the source files.

When you refocus your camera, the framing chages. I think you need to frame when you are focused on the FARTHEST point, not the NEAREST.
JPS

Re: Strange cropping by HF !

Post by JPS »

Stas Yatsenko wrote:If you change the order of the source images and Helicon Focus will not crop the result. But you will see that the edges will contain blurred areas from some of the source files.

When you refocus your camera, the framing chages. I think you need to frame when you are focused on the FARTHEST point, not the NEAREST.
Hi Stas !

Thanks for the tips ! I will try to invert the order or the image and see the results ! I'll keep you informed thru this thread !

:)
J-P.