all image icons default to helicon

Announcement of new releases, bugs, support, suggestions
hkoons

all image icons default to helicon

Post by hkoons »

Default may be an improper description. In Window Explorer I try to set images to open in Photoshop which usually puts the photoshop icon when viewing in Windows Explorer. However I may set on image to open, the helicon icon remains.

Another problem I'm experiencing that may be related is that I can't open a tif file in PS or Bridge. Again, when I try to set the "open with" in Win Explorer (tools...) I can't rid the default to helicon.

Does anyone have a remedy? Should I just uninstall helicon focus?
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

Do you mean Helicon Focus or Helicon Filter?
Helicon Focus does not assign file associations.
Helicon Filter does but you can change these settings in the Preferences/File Associations of the Helicon Filter.
hkoons

Post by hkoons »

Thank you, Dan. And, I apologize for my poorly written sentence. Upon first reading I too could hardly understand it. Replace "on" to "the" and it makes more sense.
Regardless, your suggestion did work. Image icons that previously refused to show anything but the Helicon FILTER icon, whoever I changed the settings in Windows Explorer, now show the icon of the program in which I've assigned it to open.
I still have that problem in being unable to open tif files in anything but "Creativity_E Application 1.0" whatever program I may assign it to open within the "folder options" of Windows Explorer. I doubt now that it has anything to do with Helicon, but should you have any suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Kozub

Post by Dan Kozub »

As I know there is quite complicated system of file associations which are stored in Registry. I would open regedit.exe and find all ".tif" entries. Or "Creativity_E Application". This is low level solution but I do not know better method.
hkoons

Post by hkoons »

Thanks, Dan.
I may have already discovered the problem of tif opening. It's possible that it was an incorrect setting within the Bridge preference setting. Unfortunately I'm now encountering some difficulties with Bridge; the "Online services encountered error..." issue seems to have put a stop to my work. Always something!! :(
On to the next episode...