PhotoShop Plugins?

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

StevenD

PhotoShop Plugins?

Unread postby StevenD » 21.07.2007 21:34

Can Helicon Filter use PhotoShop Plugins? Was looking at webpage but found nothing. http://www.heliconsoft.com/filter_features.html Did find that it can be a PS plugin.

Thanks

StevenD

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 23.07.2007 15:06

Sure. Helicon Filter ( Pro version only) can be called from Photoshop as a plugin.

lutz

HF as plugin host

Unread postby lutz » 23.07.2007 19:51

Hello Steven,

you can also use HF as a host for PS compatible plugins. You just need to copy the ".8bf" and associated plugin files to the corresponding folder of your HF installation:

C:\Program Files\Helicon\HeliconFilter\Plug-ins

The plugins will be accessible under >Filters>Plug-ins

Be aware that only filters, that do not require layers, will be working in HF ( as layers are not yet available in HF).
If you ever installed photoshop you will also find some rather old "plugins" that always come with PS in the filters menu ( artistic, texture, ...etc.). These never workded for me in HF. Did anybody else ever get these to work ( at least they are not crashing HF anymore)???
But no problems with newer plugins.

StevenD

Unread postby StevenD » 24.07.2007 22:50

Lutz,

Thanks for the tips! There are So Many PS Plugins available this really makes things alot easier to switch to HF.

Has anyone tried the DNG converter and camera raw plugin? Especially latest v4.1 http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=3649

Steve

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 24.07.2007 23:56

hello Steve,

I hope my previous post was not misleading. The ACR plugin will not work with HF - and there should be no need for it. Helicon Filter will open and convert almost any imaginable RAW file format on its own.
HF can make of use image editing photoshop compatible plugins, because specifications for these were published perhaps 10 years ago ( there are tons of such standard plugins available). Newer plugin constructs however have been kept secret by Adobe. I have never tried to use Adobe converted DNG files with HF, but I suppose it works, since I have never read anything contradicting. There are rather few good reasons to convert your RAW files into DNGs; you might better want to read a bit about this topic - and not only the Adobe provided information.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 26.07.2007 08:41

Helicon Filter, like many programs, is supposed to support photoshop plugin (8bf) files, but can only support some.

StevenD

Unread postby StevenD » 26.07.2007 22:29

lutz,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Yes everything I have read has been from Adobe.

Do you have any references that may be more objective?

Steven

StevenD

Unread postby StevenD » 26.07.2007 22:31

Ariel,

Have you or anyone else posted what PS Filters work and those that did not?

Thanks

Steven

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 26.07.2007 23:45

DNG discussion examples:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=24008353

http://www.pictureflow.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8427

Nobody can really prepare a list of PS plugins working in HF, because there are soo many of them. Plugins will not work:

1. - if they require layers
2. - or if they are designated as photoshop-only compatible ( if they work in PSP or PhotoPaint , they will work in HF (however, see point #1)

Basically all filters in the "8bf" file format should work (however, see point #1)

StevenD wrote:lutz,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Yes everything I have read has been from Adobe.

Do you have any references that may be more objective?

Steven

StevenD

Unread postby StevenD » 27.07.2007 20:01

lutz,

Thanks for the links and PS plugin clarification

Steve

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 27.07.2007 21:26

I actually did make a short list once... Lutz's info is probably more over-all correct than a list, but I personally haven't noticed how layers would be used in some of the filters that didn't work.

This is based on the menu order they showed up in Helicon Filter when installed.

the following work:
AP [Freebies]>Color GX Gothic;
The Plugin Site>Harry's Filters 3.0;
Other>Tile Maker;
Blur>Lens Blur;
Distort>Lens Correction;
***Effects***>Filter Gallery

The following ones don't work (at least partially) and some of them have error messages come up:
Mondo>HDRMergeAlign/HDRMergeUI; **Hidden**>Picture Package Filter/Crop and Straighten Photos;
***Masking***>Extract; ***Texture***>Pattern Maker;
***VanishingPoint***>Vanishing Point;
nik Color Efex

And from the Plug-Ins with errors sub menu:

Don't work
**Hidden**>(all three in menu);
Digimarc>(both in menu, caused program to freeze);
Blur>(all three in menu); Render>(all four in menu);
Pixelate>(all four in menu);
Video>(both in menu);
Distort>(at least some in menu);
Stylize>(all four in menu);
Adjust>Variations

Does work: ***Liquify***>Liquify

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 27.07.2007 22:00

Hi Ariel,

for me it is slightly different as Nik Color Efex are working without any problem ( as do AAA plugins, Photo-Plugins, SimpelFilter, Richard Rosenmann Plugins, Mehdi-plugins, Imageskill, Amphisoft, Pog, Reindeer, Xero plugins, EasyCurves, .... etc. and even very complex plugins like Photo-Wiz and Power-Retouche).

However none of the Adobe-plugins ( the one which are delivered with photoshop - most of them at the bottom of your list) is doing anything for me. I believe Helicon should delete them completely from the plugins menu - are they working for anybody?
(Hope Danylo is reading this thread - I did ask Helicon this question before.)

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 30.07.2007 15:26

Hello guys! We follow unclear PhotoShop SDK rules but cannot make adobe plugins work. I am not sure if this "a feature or a bug" of Photoshop.

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 30.07.2007 20:13

Hello Dan,

perhaps you can move these Adobe authored plugins into a sub menu called "might work" of just do not list them at all. I would think they are distracting for new users, especially as the 3rd party 8bf plugins usually work without any problems.

I would assume that it is a "feature" of the Adobe authored or distributed plugins anyhow.

redwoodtwig

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 08.12.2007 05:21

Dan Kozub wrote:Sure. Helicon Filter ( Pro version only) can be called from Photoshop as a plugin.

How do I do that? Even more important to my workflow, how can I call HF from Bridge? Camera Raw is nice, but every once in a while I've come across images I'd rather process in HF.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”