a nice Helicon Filter review

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

lutz

a nice Helicon Filter review

Unread postby lutz » 01.06.2007 22:19

Found a nice Helicon Filter review at:

http://www.photozone.de/7Digital/heliconindex.htm

Hhhmm, rather short and it does not cover many unique HF features like the retouching tab. At least they have noticed how ingenious the equalizers are.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 04.06.2007 20:27

Thanks, good reviews indeed. Maybe we should add true chromatic aberration filter indeed :)

firexball

Unread postby firexball » 07.07.2007 19:41

Hello,
I think it would be greate, if you could add a "real" chromatic correction!!!

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 09.07.2007 08:29

Hello Firexball,

have you tried the latest beta??
I personally do not need this function, but I am sure the Helicon engineers would be happy if somebody would give it real workout.

firexball wrote:Hello,
I think it would be greate, if you could add a "real" chromatic correction!!!

firexball

Unread postby firexball » 09.07.2007 16:29

Hello Lutz,

I have tried the Version 4.70.1 now and saw the new Feature "Lateral CA". That is exactly what I was talking about!

But I'm sorry to say, that I'm not really satisfied with the results. :cry: I have compared the result with the "old" color method. Here are some sample Pics:

First the before and after of the new feature (200%):
I have tried to reduce the CA as much as possible (parameter -2). But it seems to be a little overtuned... (and I cannot see a difference between -1 and -2).

Second the before and after of the "old" color/saturation correction:
In my opinion this is not a good way to do this, because the edges are getting softer. The other disadvantage is, that the edges, which are mirrored in the window (this is a part of a building), are not corrected. I have tried different configurations but coludn't get it worked better.
So I think the new Function is maybe a step in the right direction...

Last the before and after of an other rawconverter (I don't want to say the name, because I don't want to steal Helicon customers)
I don't know, why the CAs are much stronger in the bevore image (it has to be something to do with the algorithm of rawconversion). Anyway, this software has two sliders (R/C and B/Y ?) and as you can see it is posible to remove the CAs totally (as I would say).

As I know, CAs could be corrected, by scaling the color channels with different multiplier. Maybe I could get better results with finer parameter values? Maybe it should be better to control two of the three chanels seperatly?

At the end I want to emphasize, that I don't want to talk something down. I just want to help to make the product even better. :wink:
And I also know, that this is all "pixelpicking" :lol: (as a friend of mine would say).

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 11.07.2007 02:34

hello Firexball,

thanks, looks like a very helpful test.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 11.07.2007 14:41

Hello Fireball,

I appreciate your tests very much. I had finetuned the parameters based on the images I had. I would appreciate if you can send me several your samples. I think I will make the scale more sensetive at least.

You can upload images to ftp://upload:nopassword@helicon.com.ua/httpdocs/

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”