Use as a RAW editor

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Ariel

Use as a RAW editor

Unread postby Ariel » 02.05.2007 06:52

When you open a raw picture in Helicon, are you editing it as a raw (so you can extract all the info and do fine tuning) or is it processed out of raw when opening?

So, can you edit raw files to perfection in Helicon (like Camera RAW from Adobe), or not?

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 02.05.2007 22:27

Hi Ariel,
I do not believe that Helicon Filter gives you the same degree of adjustability during RAW conversion as a dedicated RAW converter like ACR, bibble, silkypix, etc.. ( obviously I do not know the math 12bit converted to 16 etc..)
In this regard I believe it would be great if the some of the development parameters could be taken out of the Settings > RAW dialog, where they are buried, and put into a more accessible dialog, perhaps popping up only for RAW conversions.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 02.05.2007 22:44

You mean I can't take a raw picture into Helicon Filter and fine tune the exposure and color with all the benefits of raw? If so, that is disappointing.

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 02.05.2007 23:19

Ariel,
as mentioned before, I do not know the underlying math. My impression is that there are big differences between all available RAW converters and none of them provides all kinds of optimization options. Adobe Camera Raw has significantly less adjustment options than bibble for example.
Furthermore the quality of RAW conversions varies a lot from raw converter to raw converter and from camera to camera ( e.g. Bibble does fine with most canons and nikons but really s#$@cks for conversions of my minolta A200 - Helicon Filter is a lot better there for example). Nevertheless, I have the impression that Helicon Filter provides relatively few adjustments for the initial RAW conversion (for my A200 it does not matter because they are still superior). And simplicity has its advantage, too.
I believe there is no simple answer and it might need trial and error with your specific camera to figure out the best solution.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 07.05.2007 22:26

Hello guys!

We use two 3rd party libraries to open RAW files. One of them DCRAW, the other one is from PolyBytes which uses manufacturer's dlls in many cases (canon, nikon, etc)

Major problems in RAW development is debayerization, exposure and WB detection. The first step is most important, the others can be then fine tuned by the user. RAW converters always "guess" about WB and exposure so I would not count on them.

The major benefit of RAW files is that they contain 16 or 12 bits of information and you can recover details from shadows and sometimes rescue highlights. But note, that DCRAW with gamma compensation produce only 8 bit output, i do not know why.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”