IPTC image title

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

redwoodtwig

IPTC image title

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 28.01.2007 18:46

I discovered that Filter is putting "Processed by Helicon Filter" in the image title field of the IPTC information of my files. This causes me a problem because the on line gallery I use, Smugmug.com pulls the file name from this field rather than from the on disk file name.

This would be no problem if there was a place in the program to edit the IPTC information, but I so far haven't seen it. I'd suggest that needs to be there.

Great program for developing images, by the way!

Brandon

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 28.01.2007 19:22

I think Photoshop puts something like "Adobe Photoshop" somewhere in the exif data, I don't think they put it in the title.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 28.01.2007 21:44

Good point. You can add your comments to one of the IPTC fields. I think we will write this string (if it is empty) to this field so you can replace it with your text.

I planned to replace "Processed by Helicon Filter" with more useful information like date or original file name. What would be your suggestion?

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 28.01.2007 22:50

When I click the comments button, doesn't that bring up the box that lets you add the IPTC comments? What exactly is IPTC?

redwoodtwig

IPTC image title

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 29.01.2007 06:36

I'd default it to the original filename if only because at least one large photo hosting company uses it as the title for the image. I wouldn't mind having the date in international format (yyyymmdd) appended to the end after a space.

I looked through the fields listed in Helicon and Paintshoppro and don't really see one the jumps out at me as the best place to indicate it was developed with Helicon. I think I might like that information later on. Perhaps if the file has nothing in the "software" or "Custom rendered" field (other than what appears on most of mine, "normal processing") one of those would be a good place.

I went through all the menus but don't see a place where I can add comments to an IPTC field. The set of fields provided by iWatermark seems to cover the basics pretty well in terms of what a photographer would want. I generally use the object title and copyright fields whenever I batch process images in iWatermark. This is not the image title, thank goodness, and doesn't even appear in paint shop pro's image information.

I looked at the IPTC site, but don't have time to wade through all of that just now. Quite a bit of it seems to have very little to do with what I might want to put in my image files, however.

Thanks,

Brandon Smith
http://brandonsmithgallery.com

By the way, I find the confirmation codes very difficult to read. Almost always one of the letters or numbers I have peer at from several angles before I make a guess.

Dan Kozub wrote:Good point. You can add your comments to one of the IPTC fields. I think we will write this string (if it is empty) to this field so you can replace it with your text.

I planned to replace "Processed by Helicon Filter" with more useful information like date or original file name. What would be your suggestion?

ArielL

Unread postby ArielL » 29.01.2007 06:51

In Helicon Filter, do you see the button at the top of the screen that looks like a quote box?

Anyhow, those codes are really annoying. What you have to do is press Shift for every letter and nothing for the numbers.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 29.01.2007 10:27

I will ask our programmer to fix confirmation. I do not think you want to see here spammers again and get email notifications about their messages.

IPTC: There are many IPTC fields. We have to show them all or show only couple of it. So far we use only one IPTC field to store comments there.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 29.01.2007 18:47

Google and BetterPhoto I know have very readable human verification codes. As far as spammers, why can't a couple members delete a link-filled post by a guest spammer? Anyhow, I think its best that we ignore any spam messages and you can just delete them if they are made. That is a discouragement. And a link like "Report bad comments" might be nice to inform you of these posts.

And the code: 1 always has that flag on top. I is always uppercase. L is always uppercase. But true, important parts of the numbers are sometimes covered up or bent so much.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 18.02.2007 05:23

The human verification codes are much better now! Now, the only thing that has to be changed is the fact that it is case sensitive, and the fact that I/1 are used in the code, and that 0/O are used.

redwoodtwig

Unread postby redwoodtwig » 18.02.2007 17:25

ArielL wrote:In Helicon Filter, do you see the button at the top of the screen that looks like a quote box?

I found it, there's a button that shows a balloon type picture with lines implying text. But when I held the mouse over it, it said "record a voice comment." so I didn't click it before, since I don't have a microphone. I clicked on it, and by gosh, there's the place to record IPTC comments.

I expected to see something like I've found in most other photo programs that support IPTC editing: In the IPTC info window, the editable parts have a bold label an when you click on the area to the right, you can edit what's there.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 19.02.2007 18:39

We implemented only simplified version of IPTC comment. We use only one field and then show it in the file browser and slideshow.

We plan to add full featured IPTC editor in the next versions.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”