Helicon Filter : >resize>landscape/portrait does not w

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

pfgbel47

Helicon Filter : >resize>landscape/portrait does not w

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 10.01.2007 08:22

Hello,
I'm using the registerd (licenced) "beta" version of helicon filter with great pleasure and satisfaction.
However I cannot access to the above function, in other words I cannot select landscape or portrait in the parameter "resize", it seems "unavailable" because the zones are in grey and clicking on them doesn't change anything !
Is this already known (bug ?) or is it a wrong operation I'm performing ?
Thanks in advance for a prompt answer !!
Pol
Photography is drawing with the light, capture it to show who you are !
http://www.geosolve.be

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 10.01.2007 21:25

I think it would be cool if the buttons would work all the time and that they would switch the values between the length and width, but there is no bug here...

For user defined crops, you can input the values for the length and width manually, and depending on where you put the larger value, it will be landscape or portrait.

However, for paper and web crops where you can't put in your own values for length and width (though it would be cool if you could make custom values as presets), the landscape/portrait buttons activate and you can adjust the orientation.

See? :D

pfgbel47

Landscape/portrait question...

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 11.01.2007 08:46

Thanks a lot for the reply Ariel !
If I understood well it is NOT possible to enter the value for a simple "rotate" CW90° or CCW90° such as other ordinary softwares do unfortunately with loss of quality.
Am I right if I say the only solution would be (as I did up to now) to click xxxtimes on the double arrow (top right) to rotate progressively the image until I get it 90° left or right ?
If it's right, I do not see the real utility to show the angle values on screen if you are not able to type them in !
Anyway, the software is great, I use it again and again with a real and repeated satisfaction (except ...rotate :-))
Pol

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 11.01.2007 09:02

No, it's much easier!

You see, that's a different question. Landscape and portrait orientation have to do with how you crop it. I explained in my previous answer all about cropping. The arrows at the upper right are only to straighten out an image if the camera wasn't straight and are not for rotating 90 degrees. They would be used, for example, if you take a picture of a horizon and you notice it's not quiet straight. But instead of clicking even for that, I've found it easier to just scroll with the middle mouse button/wheel in the resize tab.

But! :arrow: To rotate 90 deg is totally different. Any time you want to, and in (almost) any tab, you can rotate the picture by using the arrows at the top of the program between the picture of a hat and the picture for HDRs. You can also press Ctrl+R or Ctrl+L to rotate 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. Note that you cannot rotate the image in the frames or retouching tabs. You should always rotate before doing anything in those tabs. (You can actually rotate after doing retouches, but if you revisit the retouches tab, it doesn't re-apply the retouching properly.)

Claro?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 11.01.2007 09:47

I would like to add my 2 cents:

1. You can rotate the image on the Resize tab dragging it with Right mouse button.

2. Landscape/portrait buttons rotate the cropping area, not the image itself.

3. You can rotate the final image on the save tab before saving it.

pfgbel47

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 11.01.2007 10:10

I'm really stupid.... !! :oops:
Of course it works perfectly with your tip :lol: , I should have read correctly the on-screen commands !
Sorry but thanks again !
Pol

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 17.01.2007 05:47

Might I add that since it is easy to scroll unintentionally with the mouse wheel, and this causes the image to rotate slightly, you should always check to make sure that the image has not been accidentally rotated. I hope that future versions will show a more obvious change in the screen when rotation begins (bolden or pop up words showing rotation amount?).

pfgbel47

RE: landscape/portait --> Ariel

Unread postby pfgbel47 » 17.01.2007 07:15

Thanks for the remark Ariel, I noticed indeed it could happen sometimes.
Since I got your tip it's a real dream with heliconfilter, wonderful !
Have a good day !
Pol

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”