Your adverticement is not honest

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Your adverticement is not honest

Unread postby Guest » 15.12.2006 13:56

I'm _very_ disappointed to learn your licensing terms of the HeliconFocus, only after making the purchase. You should openly inform that the software stops working after the license period. The common and long term practice in the sw industry is that one year license means the right to the updates in that period. Also your software is not shareware, however you have arranged so that on many download sites it is adverticed as shareware.

Your activation method (unkonwn data transmission to your site) btw makes it impossible to use the HeliconFocus in any company that has even a smallest IT department.

Even if the HeliconFocus is a very good software I have no option but to search an other solution. I will also be actively explaining your true licencing policy over the internet.

Erik

Re: Your adverticement is not honest

Unread postby Erik » 18.12.2006 11:39

Guest wrote:I'm _very_ disappointed to learn your licensing terms of the HeliconFocus, only after making the purchase. You should openly inform that the software stops working after the license period. The common and long term practice in the sw industry is that one year license means the right to the updates in that period. Also your software is not shareware, however you have arranged so that on many download sites it is adverticed as shareware.

Your activation method (unkonwn data transmission to your site) btw makes it impossible to use the HeliconFocus in any company that has even a smallest IT department.

Even if the HeliconFocus is a very good software I have no option but to search an other solution. I will also be actively explaining your true licencing policy over the internet.

Hello anonymous guest,

So, it doesn't change into free mode after that year?? In free mode it's still working.... not all features though....

Not sure if you really read and UNDERSTOOD everything. Why shouldn't you be able to update? Can you explain that?...... And I really would like to know what you think shareware is...... and why HF isn't share ware....

Can you please put the link where you're trying to explain the true licencing policy? We all can learn from that....

I wonder what is wrong with the activation method..... you got 4 (four) licences..... I admit, you have to change the licence too many due to hardware ID, but HF will help you instantly if something went wrong, and you're a licencensed user...

I don't get it...... maybe it's my absence of common sense, but maybe you can explain........ We all can learn, if we want to !!!!!!

Re: Your adverticement is not honest

Unread postby Guest » 19.12.2006 20:25

[quote="Erik"] So, it doesn't change into free mode after that year?? In free mode it's still working.... not all features though....[/quote]

Indeed it does change to the totally unusable "free mode".

[quote]I don't get it...... [/quote]

Go to see the Purchace page of HeliconFocus, it says:

"One Year License (valid during one year after purchase)"

and then

"Unlimited License (all updates are free)"

So, mendaciously formulated in such way that the customers are deluded to think that the licensing policy would be what it unambiguously is with all the shareware software. Deviously written.

My guess is that also the Unlimited License will terminate (eh... will change to the totally unusable "free mode") after some years.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 19.12.2006 20:33

We do not want to mislead our potential users. It is a bad policy in the long run. Now we are redisigning our site and we try to change the formulations.

Please contact our support ( filter(at)heliconfilter.com ) if you want to use your payment for some other type of license.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 27.12.2006 02:05

Guest, you are being quick to buy before knowing what you are buying, and you are even being quicker to make judgments. No one was being devious in the slightest when making the site. In fact, it is quiet straightforward, even though there is room for improvement. I think you are just a little misguided (and I will clarify some things below), and that you would probably change your mind shortly after making any hasty remarks online about the company after you've had some time to think about it. Please don't take my statements the wrong way.

You can see for yourself that the website only states that updates are free under the unlimited license. What makes you think that this would apply to the one year license as well? The one year license is a license to use the program for one year. I don't see what's misleading about that. You cannot expect a license for a program to function past its period! Sure, there are some programs which a license means that updates are allowed during the license period, but those are mostly anti-virus and anti-spyware programs which need updated information to do their job. Note that even many of these programs (Norton Internet Security for example) don't allow you to update the program version without paying for an update - they only let you update virus definitions, etc.. I think you were confused when you saw that there was a one year license available. You were probably thinking that all software that offers a one year license means that the program works forever but updates only for a year because you were using lots of programs like Norton. The unlimited license will not terminate ever and gives you all future versions free. This would be the equivalent to a regular license on many programs which don't allow a person to save money by buying it for only one year.

Regarding shareware, it is defined as a program which lets you use a demo of the program before buying it. In this case, the demo is full functionality with watermarks over the images. Perhaps you are confusing it with freeware, which means that you can use even the non-demo version for free. Nevertheless, download websites are often inaccurate, so don't blame Helicon if they mislabel it.

Furthermore, the licenses are for individuals and should not be used on several computers.

I can hardly see how all this is devious.

nfoto

Unread postby nfoto » 21.01.2007 21:07

I'm in parts agreeing to the "Guest"'s claims. Helicon Focus is very different from most other software. Even with a pro license, you need to do a lot of unnecessary "activations" of the program, it repeating reverts to the "free" mode and yes, that mode is basically useless. I don't feel comfortable not knowing what kind of data is extracted and sent back to the Helicon site or why the software insists on reverting from its licensed state ever so often.

There are also other grave defects with this program. Very annoying not to be able to put the caches at the disk locations I want, having caches dumped onto my C: system drive is nonsensical. The output leaves much to be desired in terms of quality with lots of fringing around lines. So in essence I have given up using this program and consider the money I paid as being thrown away.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 21.01.2007 22:56

nfoto: Those improvements look nice! They would probably be appreciated if implemented. However you do know that adjusting the parameters you can control the amount of imperfections, right?
You know, I only had to put in my six character activation code once and that's all. What is all this about "a lot of unnecessary 'activations'"? And, I don't think that any personal information is sent during activation. Just the computer's unique ID, I think.

Side question: Why can't the "Guest" poster just get a refund if he realized that he didn't get the license he wanted?

nfoto

Unread postby nfoto » 21.01.2007 23:13

I've been forced to reactivate several times within a few months.

And yes, I've tried all adjustments I could locate to get better results, but in vain.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 21.01.2007 23:38

Are you using multiple computers? Uninstalling and reinstalling?

What photos have you tried to merge? Perhaps if you would upload them here we could help?

nfoto

Unread postby nfoto » 22.01.2007 00:03

I believe by purchasing a "pro" license I was entitled to 4 separate installations. At least that's what the documentation said. Now, I never got to more than 2 installations anyway so that is a moot point.

I'm currently looking for software with a better quality. Sorry.

lutz

How about some examples?

Unread postby lutz » 22.01.2007 09:13

Hello nfoto,

How about some examples for some of your image quality problems perhaps including an original file?
Image quality problems would be unusual for HF. Perhaps your problems are fixable

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 22.01.2007 10:10

nfoto:

1. We can make a refund, no problem.

2. We remade activation module and now it is more stable and ID does not change after OS reinstall, adding new network cards, etc.

3. Do not hesitate to contact our support at support@heliconfocus.com if you any problems with the keys

4. Fringing is a problem for all EDF pograms. If you know the program which produces better results, please let me know. Retouching brushes of the Pro version is an easy method to fix these artifacts.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 22.01.2007 22:40

Somebody who helped to make CombineZ5 (or CombineZM) told me that Helicon Focus does a better job about 80% of the time. Since it is a free program, might as well test it out on problem photos (since it is better 20% of the time).

What does EDF stand for? Extended Depth of Field?

Erik

Unread postby Erik » 04.03.2007 12:09

Totally agree (or disagree, I don't know....) with post above :P

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”