Pictures look more red in HC than in Irfan View or PSE

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

John Lai

Pictures look more red in HC than in Irfan View or PSE

Unread postby John Lai » 13.12.2006 01:49

I have noticed pictures look more red in HC than in Irfan View or PSE. Why is this so?

John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 13.12.2006 04:11

Are you using RAW?

It is probably an issue with color profiles. Make sure helicon filter is set, from the preferences window, to preserve the color profile. Your other programs may be changing the profile to Adobe RGB or something when it was sRGB. Other people with more experience with color profiles would probably be able to offer you better advice if what I suggested didn't work.

--------------

:twisted: 8) :oops: :wink: :!:

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 13.12.2006 05:06

Hi John,
I did never observe such a problem. As Ariel mentioned more information would be great.
Does it apply to all images? What kind of images? Are you using embedded color profiles? Only RAW files?
Perhaps you can post an example here or at imageshack?

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 13.12.2006 07:13

Another possibility is that Helicon Filter is set to change the color automatically, which is easily reversed. When you take a picture and click on, say, the retouches tab, without doing other stuff to the photo first, is the bullet in the Colors tab red or gray?

------------------

:idea: :shock: :o :) :( :P

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 13.12.2006 20:04

ariel wrote:Another possibility is that Helicon Filter is set to change the color automatically, which is easily reversed. When you take a picture and click on, say, the retouches tab, without doing other stuff to the photo first, is the bullet in the Colors tab red or gray?

------------------

:idea: :shock: :o :) :( :P

I have set HF to: Preserve embedded profile.

On changing this setting, I get the following error message: Internal error. Class not registered.
I have noticed that Irfan View * ACDC are identical, PSE lighter, HC more red, even when setting is :Preserve embedded profile.

The bullet of the Colors Tab is gray. HF version is 4.50.1
John

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 13.12.2006 20:07

[quote="lutz"]Hi John,
I did never observe such a problem. As Ariel mentioned more information would be great.
Does it apply to all images? What kind of images? Are you using embedded color profiles? Only RAW files?
/quote]
1-Yes, all images.
2-Jpegs
3-Yes
4-Not tried Raw files yet

John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 13.12.2006 20:17

Sounds like a bug (are you using the latest release?), or maybe your camera has some unusual color profile and that needs to be added in the next version of Helicon.
I've heard of color profile problems leading to discolorations in prints, so it's best to get everything checked out. Maybe you should try to take an image, open it in Helicon (beta 1?), set the program to change it to sRGB color space, correct any color tint, save it, and open it again in another program (like Picasa 2.5 :D , or one of your other programs if you make sure they don't also change the color profile), and see how it is.

Check this out about color profiles.Charlotte K. Lowrie)

lutz 4

testing

Unread postby lutz 4 » 14.12.2006 04:58

Hi John,

I did check with sRGB and and AdobeRGB images and Helicon Filter seems to display the images correctly with both profiles and in comparison to Photoshop and Faststone on my PC.

IrfanView is not color-managed AFAIK and thus will display AdobeRGB files always a bit duller than intended.
Faststone has the option to enable a Color Management System in the Settings menu.

Perhaps you can try the free Faststone viewer with CMS switched on for comparisons or you could post one of your images?

John Lai

Re: testing

Unread postby John Lai » 14.12.2006 17:55

lutz 4 wrote:Hi John,

I did check with sRGB and and AdobeRGB images and Helicon Filter seems to display the images correctly with both profiles and in comparison to Photoshop and Faststone on my PC.

IrfanView is not color-managed AFAIK and thus will display AdobeRGB files always a bit duller than intended.
Faststone has the option to enable a Color Management System in the Settings menu.

Perhaps you can try the free Faststone viewer with CMS switched on for comparisons or you could post one of your images?

Hi Lutz,
Thanks for the reply. I admit that this colour space thing is quite unfamiliar for me. I will try to understand it better with time and also learn how to post a picture here.

John

John Lai

Problem solved

Unread postby John Lai » 15.12.2006 04:23

[quote="ariel"]Sounds like a bug (are you using the latest release?), or maybe your camera has some unusual color profile and that needs to be added in the next version of Helicon.
I've heard of color profile problems leading to discolorations in prints, so it's best to get everything checked out. Maybe you should try to take an image, open it in Helicon (beta 1?), set the program to change it to sRGB color space, correct any color tint, save it, and open it again in another program (like Picasa 2.5 :D , or one of your other programs if you make sure they don't also change the color profile), and see how it is.
/quote]
Hi Ariel,
I played around with the settings in HF, and suddenly everything went good. Surely the colour space thing. Now I get the same colour in HF, ACDC, Irfan View. Only in Photoshop Elements, the image is brighter.

John

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”