Saving Settings for Batch processing

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

John

Saving Settings for Batch processing

Unread postby John » 09.12.2006 22:58

First of all let me say Helicon Filter is an amazing program. I really like it. However there is something which is not clear to me.

If I open a image for editing, reset all settings in Helicon Filter and start a workflow with Noise, Brightness etc, each with it's own settings. At the end of the workflow, I go to the Menu & select Settings/ Save Settings. Are the settings for each individual command saved? Can the saved setting be used to Batch Process files?

Thanks
John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 10.12.2006 05:18

I think the answers are yes, except I think cloning and some other retouch brushes aren't saved.

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 10.12.2006 06:54

Hello John,

as Ariel has explained the answer is indeed yes. (Under "Settings" use "Save Settings"). There are several ways to proceed with the batch processing.

The easiest way is to use the "Apply to folder" command in the "Save" tab.

Another practicable way is to apply your saved preset settings to individual images by right-clicking on a thumbnail in the source tab and choosing then "Apply preset and add to queue".

Additional options are explained in the help files in the "batch processing" section.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 10.12.2006 19:15

lutz wrote:Hello John,

as Ariel has explained the answer is indeed yes. (Under "Settings" use "Save Settings"). There are several ways to proceed with the batch processing.

The easiest way is to use the "Apply to folder" command in the "Save" tab.

Another practicable way is to apply your saved preset settings to individual images by right-clicking on a thumbnail in the source tab and choosing then "Apply preset and add to queue".

Additional options are explained in the help files in the "batch processing" section.

Hi Ariel & Lutz,
I tried it & it works well. However I have not been able to include a PS plug-in in the workflow & save the effect of the plug-in in the setting. Is this possible at the moment? If not I find this feature most welcome in a future upgrade.

John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 10.12.2006 22:24

I wouldn't expect plugins to carry over in the save, and if they don't for you, there you go. You can always ask Dan.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 19.12.2006 21:29

For now we do not plan to add external plugin to workflow and queue.

It is quite hard to implement and I think it is not so useful invest so much time in it. Do you know many plugins that can be run in silent mode (without interface) in the queue?

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 19.12.2006 23:57

Dan Kozub wrote:For now we do not plan to add external plugin to workflow and queue.

It is quite hard to implement and I think it is not so useful invest so much time in it. Do you know many plugins that can be run in silent mode (without interface) in the queue?

The good thing about HF is that it is a very good program for the photographer. I thought I would need plug-ins likea third party sharpener or a noise reducer, but the built in functions are excellent.

However, I would have like some more automation, like vertical perspective correction, like this program shiftN
http://www.shift-objektiv.de/foto/index.html

John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 20.12.2006 00:09

You can change the perspective in the distortions tab. You can decide how realistic the effects are or how much the function needs improvements, though. I think it's pretty good, but sometimes it doesn't create the desired effect. Don't know if shiftN is better.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 20.12.2006 00:12

ariel wrote:Don't know if shiftN is better.

it is very accurate & customisable. However it does not work as a plug-in.

John

John Lai

Is it difficult to implement auto-correction of perspective?

Unread postby John Lai » 01.01.2007 17:43

John Lai wrote:However, I would have like some more automation, like vertical perspective correction, like this program shiftN
http://www.shift-objektiv.de/foto/index.html
John

I am mainly an architectural photographer ( I take photos of buildings by hundreds & even thousands) , so auto-correction of vertical perspective within HF would be a great bonus for me.

However I have noticed that in most other types of photo, there is often a vertical element: a door, a furniture, and most of the time the camera is tilted. By having these vertical, the photo looks much better.

Another ShiftN features I would welcome in HF are auto-rotate (for example the horizontal line of the sea) an auto-crop

Hope I am not asking for too much :)

John

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 01.01.2007 19:27

ShiftN automatically figures out if a horizon is off or if a building isn't straight? Wow!

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 02.01.2007 12:16

Settings: in the latest 4.50 version we save settings every time you save the file. We also save the name of the original file.

Later you can open processed image and choose "Reprocess original" in Helicon Filter menu. The program will open original image and load appropriate settings.

But I am sure you already know about this feature : ))

ShiftN: will surely have a look at it.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 04.01.2007 19:14

Dan Kozub wrote:ShiftN: will surely have a look at it.

Thanks for your attention. If some of ShiftN features could be integrated to HF, that would be a big plus.
Try to ask Adobe to have a look at ShiftN :)

BTW, I really like HC & just purchased the Unlimed Pro version. I like the idea of being able to use all updates & upgrades and I am sure H. Filter will get better & better.

I subscribed to your mailing list for updates, but was not notified of HeliconFilter450beta3. Maybe you notify only of non-beta versions?

John

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 04.01.2007 22:56

Delivering mail notification is harder and harder every day. Spam filter is a must nowadays but it is not always smart enough. I think it is the reason. Maybe even your provider filters some emails.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”