Helicon on images from cell phone

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

JAA555

Helicon on images from cell phone

Unread postby JAA555 » 17.01.2013 13:33

Hello!
I wonder if anyone ever got good results with Helicon software applied to stacks obtained with a consumer sensor? Something like a cell phone or a tablet camera?
Could you please give me a link?

Thank you in advance,
Alex

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon on images from cell phone

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 18.01.2013 13:17

From the program's point of view, the only difference between images is in resolution and in noise level. If images are too noise, it is hard to detect focused details.

Please also note that depth of field is almost infinite for tiny sensors of cell phones. And it is hard to control focusing process of such camera. I think that is why focus stacking is mostly used for cameras with large sensor with good control over focusing.

JAA555

Unread postby JAA555 » 19.01.2013 01:58

Stas Yatsenko wrote:From the program's point of view, the only difference between images is in resolution and in noise level. If images are too noise, it is hard to detect focused details.

Please also note that depth of field is almost infinite for tiny sensors of cell phones. And it is hard to control focusing process of such camera. I think that is why focus stacking is mostly used for cameras with large sensor with good control over focusing.

Stas, thanks a lot for your answers.

Can you actually say how much noise may become critical for the program? Is there a reference or could this be related somehow to the pixel size?
Talking about the depth of field of small sensors. I am interested in the macro mode where distance to the object is small (50-200mm). The depth of field is pretty shallow for such distances and small f-numbers.
Let us take for example a macro photography with an iPhone5? Do you know any examples illustrating the performance of Helicon?

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 23.01.2013 17:37

Relative level of noise is important. If your image contains high contrast details, than even higher noise level will not prevent program to make the correct decision during stacking. I think, you can get good results even with small sensor if you shoot with low ISO and good light conditions.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”