Combination of Techniques

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Deep Perspective

Combination of Techniques

Unread postby Deep Perspective » 21.04.2011 17:05

Hi all, just joined you, Hello!..... One question, does anyone out there use Focus Stacking in combination with the "Swings and Tilts" of a Technical camera? 30 years ago I used "Sinar" large format cameras, (F1/C2/P2) this gave me the ability to keep everything in focus whilst keeping the aperture to the absolute minimum by being able to place the film/lens plane (scheimpfulg principle) exactly where I wanted it. However, I dont think the "focus stacking" technique was around then, I certainly didn't hear of it, but then, I wasn't "into" computers. It strikes me that using a combination of both of these techniques could alleviate some of the problems that I see some of you are having to deal with. I would dearly love to see some examples where both of these techniques are used together. Look forward to hearing from you.

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Combination of Techniques

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 26.04.2011 11:22

Usually focus stacking is thought as an alternative to tilt and shift lenses because they are expensive. You can mix these techniques of course. Using TS lens is only a way to extend depth of field by hardware, the same as setting smaller aperture.That would mean that to get infinite stacking with TS lens you would need smaller number of shots, that is all the difference.

Deep Perspective

Unread postby Deep Perspective » 27.04.2011 12:27

Hi Stas, Yes, I can see that it would take a lot less shots using a camera with "Tilt & Swings" + "Focus Stacking", but wouldn't that be welcome ? Wouldn't it solve the problem of the subject increasing/decreasing so much in size ? Also, one could introduce perspective changes to good effect. Case in point, your shot of the train carriage on the "Samples" page. Imagine how much more effective it would look if the front end, was twice the size of the back end. As it is, it's just an informative shot, devoid of any dynamism, and if "I" was selling these carriages, I know which shot I would want in my catalog. However Stas, this is not a criticism of the image, I appreciate that it's only to show how effective "Focus Stacking" can be. I will, when funds allow, re-equip my self with a "tech" camera with digital back and experiment with a few "idea's" using this technique. In the mean time, I look forward to reading you excellent site.

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 29.04.2011 11:10

Thanks. You are right.The only problem is that these lenses are expensive and often do not have auto focus.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”