What makes Helicon Focus tick on the computer? Computer conf

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

tived

What makes Helicon Focus tick on the computer? Computer conf

Unread postby tived » 14.10.2010 16:43

Hi Everyone,

What a great little program here, but man does it require some computing power!?

So, what will make HF tick, what in the computer will improve the performance (eg. the speed at which a stack is processed?)

CPU(s) the speed (Ghz) and number of Cores? Multi-processors (eg. 2 or more CPU's)

RAM - the speed and quantity of ram

GPU (The Graphics card or cards) the speed or the amount of VRAM on a graphics card, will multiple card help (eg. SLI/Crossfire Dual, Triple or Quad cards) is it biased towards nVidia or AMD(ATI)

Hard drive(s), an in particular their speed, SSD's ? SAS 15k rpms? Hybrids drives. RAID of these (RAID-0 being the fastest) is there a lot of I/O operations going on, saving and reading from disk.

Where will we see the best performance, obviously the fastest of everything, and lots of it....but where do we start to see improvements and where do we see diminishing return in processing on the investment?

What do you use and how does it perform?

thanks

Henrik

Stas Yatsenko

Re: What makes Helicon Focus tick on the computer? Computer

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 15.10.2010 12:23

Henrik,

I think the bottleneck in usual, well balanced system would be processor. Helicon Focus is multithreaded application so it uses all processor cores. Graphic card is not so important. Memory size is important but only to hold all data in memory without swapping to disk (4Gb would be enough for images up to 30 mpixels). Memory speed is very important, if you have many cores, memory bandwidth will be a bottleneck. HDD speed is not critical.

tived

Unread postby tived » 15.10.2010 16:05

Thanks Stas,

So, a little dual processor with six cores each and 24-48GB of ram, a handfull of SSD's and HDD's, all raid-0, a decent graphics card, should fit the bill then.

but...would you get better performance with 2x 12 core at 2Ghz then 2x6 cores at 4Ghz? (oopps underclock that to 3.33Ghz) :-) obviously this is AMD vs INTEL :-) Magny-Cours vs XEON

I am trying to see what pushes the different areas of Digital Post production, in photography. I do mainly retouching for others but for myself I do pano's with HDR and hopefully soon, with extended focus. So I am trying to push the envelope as much as I can.

Any info on what will make it tick would be greatly appreciated, as it will also help others here.

Thanks

Henrik

PS: Sorry didn't get around to test the Mk III, will give you feedback on tuesday or wednesday, thanks Stas!

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 18.10.2010 12:38

I think 2x6 at higher frequency would do better job. Firstly, not all operations can be multithreaded, secondly, higher frequency also means higher performance of other system components, especially RAM.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”