how to blend step by step? or two by two? or...

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

stevez

how to blend step by step? or two by two? or...

Unread postby stevez » 28.08.2010 04:53

is there a way to blend a couple of shots, then blend the next one, then blend the next one, or 3, without saving each step and re-loading? For example, blend the output frame with the next photo frame? Sometimes the blends are pretty tough, and it would be nice to eliminate stumper frames without having to redo the whole bunch.

Stas Yatsenko

Re: how to blend step by step? or two by two? or...

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 30.08.2010 12:46

No, it is not possible. But you can remove check for the image you want to ignore (Parameters tab). You may also disable interpolation to speed up calculations while you are experimenting with frames.

stevez

Unread postby stevez » 30.08.2010 21:18

I guess that means, if you blend a select few, get something good, and then decide to blend another one or two,
the computations start all over, with no reference or preference to the successful previous blend. Maybe that's a feature
worth considering?
So what is the way to blend the very closest up stuff where there are huge areas of fuzz. That's what's getting in the way.
Fuzz is the out of focus area as you go thru a long focus rack for extreme close ups. So far, I can only think to blend a few, and then join the blends together,
all with a fair amount of touch up.
thanks

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 31.08.2010 12:26

I am not sure I understand you right. I imagine it the followint way: You make 20 images. When you load stack into Helicon Focus, you see that the first 3 images and the last 2 images are completely out of focus. Other images contain some useful (focused) information. In this case I would suggest to uncheck unfocused images and process the stack. That is what you meant?

stevez

Unread postby stevez » 31.08.2010 19:59

No
lets say you have 20 images. That's a long rack of focus. Often the blur at the beginning can obscure good blending from later images.
So how to beat that problem? All I can think of is blending a few at a time, e.g. 5 groups of four, and then blend them all together, or blend the first few, then "add" the next two, or so, etc. However, apparently we cannot do a few, and "add" a few more without re-blending all the singles again, thus perhaps spoiling what worked for the first few. Is this your program? How do you recommend long blends from very very close with huge blurs and maximum change of focal length?
Want to see any samples of problem images?

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 02.09.2010 12:53

From our experience, there is no difference between the stack of 20 images blended at once and the same images blended into 5 groups as the first step. If you find this approach working, we would be happy to implement it. You are welcom to upload your sample stack to our server (as described at http://www.heliconsoft.com/ftp.html) and we will check if this is working.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”