Helicon Filter 5, what's the difference???

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

plevyadophy

Helicon Filter 5, what's the difference???

Unread postby plevyadophy » 14.08.2010 21:59

Hi,

Can someone tell me ALL the differences between Helicon Filter v.4.93.2 and version 5.

I can't seem to find any detailed information anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

plevyadophy

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Helicon Filter 5, what's the difference???

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 17.08.2010 10:22

Helicon Filter 5 supports selection mask now. You can make a selection and apply filters only to selected areas.
The filters can be applied in arbitrary order and several times. For example, you can select the sky, then apply noise reduction to sky area, then noise reduction with different parameters to not selected area.
The brushes now work with preview. When you move the brush you can see what will happen after you apply it. This is especially handy with updated edge sensitivity function.
Please note that this is a beta version. We will add many more functions like adding text or replacing colors till the release. You are welcome to test this version and give us your comments and suggestions.

plevyadophy

Unread postby plevyadophy » 21.08.2010 00:16

Thanks very much for your reply.

So, if this version now allows you to apply the Filters in a random sequence, will it still be possible to set up the program so that the program is laid out in the recommended workflow sequence?

And what about an option to pop up and remind you that you are applying a Filter in a non-recommended order? Is there such a thing, or is there going to be?

Finally, I am right in saying that this program is based on the DCRAW engine right? So does that mean there will never be a lens correction module within Helicon Filter, especially for (what I regard as the most annoying lens fault) chromatic abberation/purple fringing, as well as for basic image straightening?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance.

plevyadophy

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 23.08.2010 10:45

So, if this version now allows you to apply the Filters in a random sequence, will it still be possible to set up the program so that the program is laid out in the recommended workflow sequence?

It is not possible to change the order of tabs in the program so far. But we plan to add this functionality in the future.

And what about an option to pop up and remind you that you are applying a Filter in a non-recommended order? Is there such a thing, or is there going to be?

There is no strict rules for the right order so we do not want to impose our views on user.

Finally, I am right in saying that this program is based on the DCRAW engine right?

It uses DCRAW for raw conversion as well as two other raw converters.

So does that mean there will never be a lens correction module within Helicon Filter, especially for (what I regard as the most annoying lens fault) chromatic abberation/purple fringing, as well as for basic image straightening?

You can use Distortions and Aberration tabs to correct this. You can also save these settings as presets and apply them to selected files. The downsize is that such a preset does not take into account the actual focal length of a given image.

plevyadophy

Unread postby plevyadophy » 23.08.2010 15:54

Stas Yatsenko wrote:

It is not possible to change the order of tabs in the program so far. But we plan to add this functionality in the future.

There is no strict rules for the right order so we do not want to impose our views on user.

OK. What I was thinking about is the fact that on previous versions, according to the Help/User Guide, the tabs are placed in the order for the recommended workflow sequence. So now, with Version 5, we can apply those filters in any order we wish. What I was worried about is that this new feature might result in the tabs changing the way they are currently laid out (I much prefer to the tabs to be laid out as they are in Version 4).

Stas Yatsenko wrote:
Finally, I am right in saying that this program is based on the DCRAW engine right?

It uses DCRAW for raw conversion as well as two other raw converters.

So does that mean there will never be a lens correction module within Helicon Filter, especially for (what I regard as the most annoying lens fault) chromatic abberation/purple fringing, as well as for basic image straightening?

You can use Distortions and Aberration tabs to correct this. You can also save these settings as presets and apply them to selected files. The downsize is that such a preset does not take into account the actual focal length of a given image.

OK. So are there any plans to have the Distortions and Aberration enabled so that it can take into account the lens' focal length, i.e. lens profiling? That would be good as it will mean we can avoid having to use PTlens or Adobe Camera Raw profiling.

Regards,

plevyadophy

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 25.08.2010 14:05

OK. So are there any plans to have the Distortions and Aberration enabled so that it can take into account the lens' focal length, i.e. lens profiling? That would be good as it will mean we can avoid having to use PTlens or Adobe Camera Raw profiling

Yes, we plan to improve the functionality of these tabs in this direction. I would appreciate your suggestions in this matter. Please write us on support@heliconsoft.com

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”