Lightroom Workflow

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

howardg

Lightroom Workflow

Unread postby howardg » 23.03.2010 05:05

I am just starting with Helicon Focus and wondering about using the Lightroom plug-in. More specifically:

1) Will any adjustments you make in Lightroom be applied to the images as they are imported into Helicon Focus?

2) If the Lightroom adjustments are applied when importing into Helicon Focus (and obviously the same adjustments would be made to the entire series of images being imported) is it best to make such adjustments prior to importing or is it better to leave the images 'as shot' with no adjustments made in Lightroom prior to importing into Helicon Focus?

3) If the Lightroom adjustments are applied upon import, is it best to capture sharpen all the images in Lightroom or would it be better to turn off all Lightroom sharpening for the import?

Thanks.

Howard

Stas Yatsenko

Re: Lightroom Workflow

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 23.03.2010 17:25

Howard,

We use standard functionality of Lightroom which applies the filters before exporting the files to external applications like Helicon Focus. I would suggest to process original images with Helicon Focus first.

howardg

Unread postby howardg » 24.03.2010 01:04

Hi Stas,

Thanks very much for the rapid reply. So best approach would be not to apply any processing in Lightroom...just checking...does that also imply that you would turn OFF even the default amount of capture sharpening that Lightroom applies by moving the sharpening sliders to zero before exporting to Helicon Focus.

Thanks.

Howard

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 24.03.2010 17:20

I think this would not do much difference. Any sharpening increases noise and may program think that blurred area is actually in focus. But this effect should not be noticeable.

mjoconnell

Unread postby mjoconnell » 01.11.2011 06:42

Stas Yatsenko wrote:Howard,

We use standard functionality of Lightroom which applies the filters before exporting the files to external applications like Helicon Focus. I would suggest to process original images with Helicon Focus first.

Stas -- Why do you suggest processing the original images before using Lightroom to make changes to them? The reason I ask is that occasionally one of my images has an incorrect exposure and I alter the brightness to match the other images. As I understand from your post, the image imported from Lightroom into Helicon Focus is the one with the brightness adjustments. Is that accurate?

Thanks,

Michael

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 02.11.2011 10:42

Lightroom is smart in the meaning that the same value of the slider may have different effects on different images. And the images in the stack are not equal, just see the first and the last shot. Thus you may introduce noneven change into the stack which may then result in some artifacts.

Helicon Focus automatically compensates for brightness fluctuations from image to image. If one of the images is strongly underexposed, you may try to fix this before stacking, though it is not the best practice to fix exposure after shooting the stack.

Bottom line: Process with Helicon Focus first or apply the same changes to all images of the stack before processing in Helicon Focus.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”