Getting Texture with OBJ file

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

3dforensics

Getting Texture with OBJ file

Unread postby 3dforensics » 09.11.2009 01:11

Hello All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a method of getting the texture coordinates in the 3D Viewer included with the obj file when exported?

Also, what settings give you the most accurate surface? I have put the surface approximation settings to the highest quality, but what about the relief amplifier and smoothing? They make a huuuuge difference.

Thanks!

Eugene

3dforensics

Unread postby 3dforensics » 09.11.2009 06:07

Well, I am starting to find my own answers:

This one from the help files...

"If you plan to create 3D model from your stack, make sure you are making roughly equal steps between shots."

If anyone has any experience in this area, please chime in.

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 09.11.2009 11:59

Helicon Focus saves z-values for the model as the matrix 512x512. Even if the image is not square, the matrix is always have such dimensions. Except for the case if you resave 3D model from the 3D Viewer in the compact mode.
Amplifier - this parameter is very straightforward. It is a multiplier for all Z-values to make your object looks real. The program does not know if make 1mm between shots or 0.01 mm. That is why this parameter is needed.
Smoothing - this is a "destructive" parameter because it makes the program average z-values. The main objective is to remove z-noise and make the surface look smoother.
How to make good 3D model: 1-minimize DOF, 2-minimize noise, 3- use many regular steps. Shallow DOF let the program calculate z-values more precise.
How to make good 3D model: 1-minimize DOF, 2-minimize noise, 3- use many regular steps. Shallow DOF let the program calculate z-values more precise.
How to make good 3D model: 1-minimize DOF: shallow DOF let the program calculate z-values more precise.
2-minimize noise: noise and texture are very similar. Use lower ISO to help the program identify focused areas.
3- use many regular steps: with 3 or 5 source images your 3D model will look like stairs. I would recommend to make 20+ images to get precise and smooth 3D model.

3dforensics

Unread postby 3dforensics » 09.11.2009 16:38

Thanks for the suggestions.

I saw a microscope manufacturer use depth from defocus to recreate the height of an object in the microscopes view. The main difference in software was that you simply had to scroll the wheel from near to far and it would capture the images and create the 3D surface automatically.

It seems that Helicon has the same capability (with the exception that image capture is not automatic). However, I don't have faith in the accuracy of the surface that is created and I don't see any tools for checking accuracy.

Nonetheless, I am very impressed with what this software does!

3dforensics

Re: Getting Texture with OBJ file

Unread postby 3dforensics » 28.10.2010 05:33

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time since I have been here, but I wanted to know if there have been any changes to the 3D model creation in Focus?

How hard would it be to implement an accurate topology tool? Would you need to know the incremental distances between the object and the lesn for each set of images?

Thanks!

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 28.10.2010 18:12

We are preparing Helicon Remote utility which the ability to control external stepper motor. With the new version you will be able to use automated macrorails (StackShot) or custom build setups for macro and microphotography. You will need a Canon or Nikon DSLR with Live View to use Helicon Remote. Automated focus bracketing will give you much better precision and possibility to calibrate Z-values.

3dforensics

Unread postby 3dforensics » 28.10.2010 19:09

OK, you have my attention... Is there any place to find out more information or just go into a holding pattern for now?

Thanks!

Stas Yatsenko

Unread postby Stas Yatsenko » 29.10.2010 09:34

Please contact us at support@heliconsoft.com and we will send you a beta of the new 2.0 version. I will also give you information how to purchase motor, StackShot or order custom build setup.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”