Helicon Photo Safe

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

How do you like the beta of Helicon Photo Safe?

I love it in every way; it's the perfect organizational tool and the encryption feature is great.
14%
It's okay for protecting my photos, but it's not my favorite photo viewer.
No votes
I don't need any encryption, but I really like how I can see all the photos on my computer.
29%
It's not for me. I don't care about encryption and the viewer isn't exceptional.
29%
The program's fine for functionality, but it needs more flash!
29%

Total votes: 7

Ariel

Helicon Photo Safe

Unread postby Ariel » 21.07.2008 20:53

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicon_Photo_Safe and add info or update if needed.

How I see the program: The basic functionality is there (able to view and encrypt photos) but it doesn't seem all that attractive either. I mean, it doesn't offer any basic photo editing, the GUI is not in the same class of aesthetics that a modern program should be, the folder view seems like something you'd find on 10-year old software, there are no transition effects, the program icon's style is far outdated (ask me if you want me to try and make a more modern, photorealistic icon for the program), and user options seem limited at best. I sure hope this beta is only the tip of the iceberg. Maybe a good tool for encrypting photos, but for organization I'll stick with Picasa for now.

And really, does it make sense for this to be a separate program from Helicon Filter? Helicon Filter needs a better image viewer and this program needs an editor. It'd be great if you only have to load a program called "Helicon Photo Station" or something, be able to view all your photos, open one, and get into an advanced editing screen.

And to do a little bug report: Every time I open it there is some error message about not being able to change directory or something along those lines, plus there seems no way to activate the program.

Now, might I ask where the Mac version is? I bet about half of photographers out there are on Macs. You know about 8% of the total PC market is made of Macs, and about 70% of the market is the Windows-dominated business sector. That makes a 4:11 Mac:PC ratio in the non-business market. And everyone knows Macs are popular among photographers, so you know what to expect. Mac versions please!

Anyone have any thoughts of your own on Helicon Photo Safe?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 22.07.2008 09:46

Ariel,

Thanks for your feedback. We published evidently raw beta version to gather user opinions and define priorities for further development. We will definetely improve design and other UI aspects.

We do not want to use embedded and simplified image editor as it is made in Picasa. We plan to integrate new version of Helicon Filter and Helicon Photo Safe.

rabbel

Helicon filter and H.Photo Safe

Unread postby rabbel » 06.08.2008 20:28

Olá Daniel,
yes, Helicon Filter could use some functionality as given by Photo Save: I would really like to see Photo Save becoming a inbuilt part of Helicon Filter. No, no image editing functions, just being a bare organizer, but, organizing well and, presenting the most functional and beautiful way possible, like we were used in the old days to put our diapositives and negatives on a good lightbox. And yes, I really like the calendar function, organizing your photo's on the dates made. I'm a chaotic and I really like to have nicely and simply organized like your calendar does. Ok, you can do it by arranging your pictures on date, somewhere in Explorer, but, this, inside the Photo Save really works much easier.
For quickly and conveniently moving pictures between all the folders I really do appreciate the 'Both Panels' view: please don't remove this option from the final product!
If you're however are going to distribute Photo Save as a separate application, what's the price going to be? But, actually I hope it's going to be a part of the new Helicon Filter Suite, or some other appropriate name.

Ah, Daniel, one remark I have to make: I told you before in other posts that I really love the program and I use it almost daily next to photoshop. So the program for me is Great, not Shit, but, please have a look at the Helicon welcome screen and your logo. Daniel you HAVE to redo, restyle this because the brown spiral like thing just resembles too much the droppings of my dog.javascript:emoticon(':oops:') I'm sorry but I would really like something that does justice to the program!
Kindest regards from a dutchman in brazil,
Willem :oops:
Attachments
...shit!.jpg
...shit!.jpg (3.96 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
willem pieter rabbeljee
são paulo, brasil

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 08.08.2008 12:21

Thanks for your comments, Willem : )

amitourlo

Unread postby amitourlo » 16.08.2008 12:03

To my opinion (I do not know what is your strategy):

The best way to process from a commercial point of view would be:

- to distribute the image viewer for free because many equivalent programs are free and this is the only way to penetrate a market which is already saturated. By doing that, more people will discover the Helicon suite and maybe be attracted and buy licenses. Your image viewer should have all the functionalities of concurrent programs if you want people to change their habits. To convince more users, you should also try to include something new which is not present in the concurrent programs, here some ideas:
* something linked to Helicon Filter functionalities (to try to demonstrate the potential of HeliconFilter within the viewer)
* automatic fully parametrisable creation of Photo album (like JAlbum)
* renaming thanks to vocal recognition ?
* help to prepare for online printing
* functions to save and send pictures to mobile phone and other new devices
* pencil and basic draw functions (like on the Photos channel of the Nintendo Wii)
* mosaic fonction (create a picture with an assembly of thousands thumbnails of other pictures)
* easy "crop & save" pictures

- to sell the safety function as a separated module

Else, concerning the software itself, I think that this is a good soft and I have personnaly no problem with the GUI. ;)

I also agree if you could update your logo :P
Last edited by amitourlo on 17.08.2008 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

rabbel

helicon photo safe

Unread postby rabbel » 17.08.2008 01:18

olá,
yes, i agree with my friend from (wonderful) berlin: make it na integral part of Helicon Filter Because, indeed the market already is drenched with very nice viewers.
But, next to the inevitable functions Amitourlo mentions -and I would only opt for:
* automatic fully parametrisable creation of Photo album (like JAlbum)
and
* functions to save and send pictures to mobile phone and other new devices- I would favour to really work on the functionality of viewing the photos shot.
In my opinion Helicon doesn't have to compete with many image viewers or image editing programs by boosting the manyfold of options. Helicon is a really stable quality tool, program for photographers and should keep developing visions and ideas restricted to the wishes of this specific group.
As a photographer I am interested in comfortable, quick and easy (re)viewing of my images in the most comfortable and practical way, like in the old days putting my negatives on a lightbank. Try to work on speed of viewing, clarity, ways to darken or lighten the images, easy zooming options and good organizing tools.
Well, there are much things to say but, what I want to make clear is this:
keep perfecting the program with the basic wishes of the photographer in mind. And I highly prefer quality of the tools above quantity.

Oh, before I forget: one of the toolsets I really love and adore is the Retouching tab, especially the possibility to work locally on the photographs. Please, do not change or remove this. For me this is THE charm of the program where I can finally shape my shots!

Boa sorte,
Willem
willem pieter rabbeljee

são paulo, brasil

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 19.08.2008 08:22

Thanks for your suggestions! We will publish newer version of Helicon Safe in a few days. It will not have any new features but we worked a lot to make it stable and fix many bugs.

We plan to make basic version of Helicon Photo Safe free that will come together with free version of Helicon Filter. Encrypting will be available in Pro method. The license for Helicon Filter will be valid for Photo Safe too. This means that current and future users of Helicon Filter will get Pro version of Photo Safe for free.

lutz

Photo Safe ???

Unread postby lutz » 20.11.2008 02:10

Hello Dan,

is this the current licensing solution?
It might be very helpful to describe the licensing scheme better somewhere on the website.
The current table does not show a free version and it does not give any options for current Helicon Filter users.
At least I do not understand how to interpret it ?? :oops:

One suggestion for Photo Safe would be to have an option to open files in other external image editors, in addition to Helicon Filter.

Dan Kozub wrote:Thanks for your suggestions! We will publish newer version of Helicon Safe in a few days. It will not have any new features but we worked a lot to make it stable and fix many bugs.

We plan to make basic version of Helicon Photo Safe free that will come together with free version of Helicon Filter. Encrypting will be available in Pro method. The license for Helicon Filter will be valid for Photo Safe too. This means that current and future users of Helicon Filter will get Pro version of Photo Safe for free.

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 20.11.2008 12:13

Yes, we have to make it clear on our web site :)

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 21.11.2008 01:31

Hello Dan,

thanks for the reply. The difference between the free and the licensed Photo Safe versions is only the encryption option?

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 21.11.2008 09:50

Yes, so far. Most probably we will add some more advanced features to Pro version.

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”