Confused?

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

Steve

Confused?

Unread postby Steve » 25.02.2008 00:14

Hi,

I've been trying the Helicon Filter product out for the last couple of days. I have RAW images from both 4 Canon DSLR cameras (300D, 20D, 400D, and 40D using .cr2) and two Olympus camera (SP550 & SP560 using .orf).

My confusion is in the RAW tab of the settings, especially for the Olympus SP550 .orf images. No matter what settings I use for the .orf image or if I check the DCRaw box, the "converted images" looked terrible. I haven't noticed it too much with the Canon cameras.

Then I decided to use Adobe DNG Convertor on the Olympus SP550 .orf images. When I brought those "converted" images up, they looked really nice.

Is the SP550 not really supported as it says it is? Is there any other explanation? Thanks in advance for any light that can be shed!

Steve

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 26.02.2008 18:00

Steve,

Can you please upload one of you orf files to
ftp://upload:nopassword@helicon.com.ua/httpdocs/
?

Steve

Unread postby Steve » 27.02.2008 05:53

Dan,

I uploaded the file titled P8270107.ORF to your site.

Further attempts have showed inconsistencies with my .orf images, some working pretty good, some not, like this one, for example.

It seems that for my .orf (SP550) images that I have to additionally check the box that reads White balance and exposure as on the thumbnail. If I do not check that box, the image WB is pretty far off.

Does this make sense?

Perhaps I just need a better understanding of which options to select and when.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Dan Kozub wrote:Steve,

Can you please upload one of you orf files to
ftp://upload:nopassword@helicon.com.ua/httpdocs/
?

sfink16

Unread postby sfink16 » 12.03.2008 04:27

Hi Dan,

Any word on what I may have been doing wrong here? Is there anything else from me that may help you figure out what's wrong with the image?

Steve
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open - Unknown

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 13.03.2008 10:49

We found one bug in our RAW development process and fixed it. I hope we publish the new version till the end of this week.

One more reason is possilbe. White balance information is stored in Maker notes of EXIF. If you change original raw files with some software, this information may become invalid and give inconsistent results.

I would ask you to wait for the new version, test again and send us more samples if the problem persists.

sfink16

Unread postby sfink16 » 07.04.2008 03:53

Hi Dan,

I finally got around to trying the new release. Unfortunately I had even less success, not even being able to run the execute program.

Is it possible that the new version no longer runs on Linux using "wine" software even though the old version did. I did an uninstall, then an install. Everything appeared normal. But when I attepted to run the program I received this error stating that I'm missing the ksecdd.sys file (I searched and could not find this file):

err:module:import_dll Library ksecdd.sys (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\VBoxSF.sys") not found

Perhaps release 5 will fix everything.
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open - Unknown

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”