HF: Batch Save As, possible?

General discussions

Moderator: Stas Yatsenko

John Lai

HF: Batch Save As, possible?

Unread postby John Lai » 16.12.2007 21:51

I normally edit my photos in HF without Saving them or Saving them As a new file.
But there are times when I need to submitted my edited photos to someone. So I need to save them and burn to a CD for submission.

So my question: Is it possible to select several edited (with Save Tab to the right of Retouching Tab) files and bath save them as edited files? Better again, is it possible to batch resize & batch save them?

John

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 19.12.2007 05:51

John ,

I had not tried before to use HF the way you suggested. Your workflow seems very logical and straightforward, however I was not able to incorporate individually adjusted images into a nice batchprocessing process this way. Hopefully somebody can help; if not, some enhancements of the current batch processing workflow capabilities of HF might be a very good idea.

Ariel

Unread postby Ariel » 19.12.2007 09:13

If you have already made different types of edits on every picture, I would suggest saving them all individually as edited files. Then, you can batch resize them all.

Or, if they all have the same edits, you can apply them to every picture.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 04.01.2008 09:57

lutz wrote:John ,

I had not tried before to use HF the way you suggested. Your workflow seems very logical and straightforward, however I was not able to incorporate individually adjusted images into a nice batchprocessing process this way. Hopefully somebody can help; if not, some enhancements of the current batch processing workflow capabilities of HF might be a very good idea.

Hi lutz,
Batch Saving As should not be more difficult than batch Sharpening+levelling+ other edits.
I wonder why it is not actually implemented. Maybe Dan could drop a word about that here?

I can save all my edited file under a new name. But that would double my disc space used. If I could just batch Save As, I would save them into a temporary directory, copy to DVD or CD, then delete the temporary directory & files.

John

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 05.01.2008 00:54

Hi John,

you are trying to use Helicon Filter in a similar way as it is intended for Lightroom - for the complete workflow; as a library and lossless editor. My impression is that perhaps the HF team was so far not that ambitious - who knows what HF 5 is going to bring?
I too would like to hear Dan's opinion on your original question.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 05.01.2008 08:31

lutz wrote:Hi John,

you are trying to use Helicon Filter in a similar way as it is intended for Lightroom -

Lightroom or Lightzone?

John

lutz

Unread postby lutz » 05.01.2008 10:42

Hi John,

more Lightroom.

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 01.05.2008 18:57

lutz wrote:Hi John,

more Lightroom.

I just installed a trial version of Lightzone. So I can say Lightzone also.

John

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 08.05.2008 10:22

Thanks for the discussion. I was away for two weeks (http://photo-os.com/dan/thumbnails.php?album=62&page=1) and now I am back.

We are right now working on the Queue in the version 5 of Helicon Filter and your suggestion are very welcome.

The basic idea is that you select the file, apply some filters to them (crop, resize, brightness, etc.) and save them to the target folder in defined format.

That is the way it is implemented now in Helicon Filter. Do you have better suggestions? As I understand, Batch Save As is the same as Queue (Resize+ Save As). Or am I wrong?

John Lai

Unread postby John Lai » 25.05.2008 05:52

Dan Kozub wrote:We are right now working on the Queue in the version 5 of Helicon Filter and your suggestion are very welcome

Some time ago I asked about what happens to it's edit information when an edited file is deleted. It stays as an orphan file. So why not attach a jpeg file of configurable size & compression to it? It can be at the same time the final output file & the file that stores the edits information. If I no longer need the edited file, I just delete it (the original stays until it is itself deleted).

Another request:
Screen showing before & after edit image of a picture

Another suggestion.
A more visual way to batch processing. Load Settings is a good feature. But I have to remember exactly what a save settings does each time a load a setting.
So I am thinking of an edited image to act as a visual template.
Say I have a very underexposed image 105.jpg I would edit it & HF will save the settings with a jpeg file name 105-hf.jpg
I would load the 105-hf.jpg with the before & after edit image command on. So I can visually appreciate what the different edits has done to my file.
I would propose a drag & drop function to add add to queue. I would drag the 105-hf.jpg from the main screen to the thumbnails of same very underexposed images.

The process can be repeated to say a low contrast image which I edit & use as template to drag & drop to thumbnails of same characteristics.

Hope I have been able to express my idea.

John

Dan Kozub

Unread postby Dan Kozub » 27.05.2008 16:26

I think I underestand what you mean :) Thanks!

Return to “Helicon Filter: General”